Your Ad Could Be Here

Cd Sales In Japan

Just1L

Amazing that it is seen as a bad thing that they still buy CDs. Further amazing how they talk about the "only way" is online streaming … even though up to this point it has only hurt the revenue of musicians … and always will.

Sure, you can say it builds fans that will hopefully in turn buy a shirt from you or see you in concert. Accepting as fact that we have to give our music away for peanuts is a pitiful turn for music.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cd-loving-japan-resists-move-003123863.html

That's what I was thinking. As much as I like doing it, I'm glad I don't have to make a living from it. I just really like the idea of sitting there looking through the CD while listening to the music. Even though musicians are more "accessible" now with Facebook, Twitter, etc… it just feels colder to me. 

Remember vinyl?

You got the whole album and you listened to both sides?  And then there was the artwork along with all the credits.

My father is an avid reader.  Yes he has a b&n nook and an amazon kindle. only for the reason that he has no where else to store the books he is continually buying.  He'll occasionally check out books from the local library.  No one is impressed with his library card or his readers.  What impresses people most is his vast collection of printed material (real books)

CD's Albums, Books are tangible references to the intangible material they represent.

As for me I'll never re-read a book.  I do have a smaller collection of cd's and wish I still had my album collection (long story)  I remember as a kid going to the record store and buying records. Going to friends and marveling at their record collections.  Bringing them to my place and spinning my collection for them.  A record collection was something to take pride in.  Though I've bought a nice collection of mp3's over the years I rarely play them.  They don't have the tangible aspect of CD's or vinyl.  I do however slip in a cd from time to time.  Gaze at the case and it brings me back to a place and time long since forgotten.  I don't get that romantic feeling from a youtube video or an mp3.

• Like 1

I know I always sound like an old j-hole when it comes to this type of stuff. But the fact is I'd have no problem with streaming, mp3 download, etc… if it was actually better than the old way. But it isn't. Easier? Yes. Better? No.

On an un-related, but kind of related note: Even stereos in cars are going downhill. Sometimes I've backed up my car, driven out of the driveway and am driving down the street before my super-cool wifi enabled tech-enhanced stereo even starts to play. I also notice with MP3s that sometimes it even cuts off the very beginning of a song.

Edited by Just1L