Your Ad Could Be Here

What Will Happen To Your Gear/musical Instruments When You Die?

TapperMike

Would you be buried with your guitar?  Would you do that?

I've taken some measurements. If It's a standard casket funeral I'll only be able to fit one.

Would you do that? After a guitar has given you so many years of pleasure? Would you bury that guitar with you so that no one else can enjoy the music that can come from it?

Are you the jealous type? If knowing that your time is coming soon would you start a big bonfire and throw all your musical equipment in?

Will you bequeath it to a special someone so that they will be the caretakers of your gear. Will they feel burdened by it if they don't feel right about playing your stuff after you've gone?

Is it going to be sold of in lot with all your other stuff. Wind it's way to a pawn shop or ebay?

Do you fear that when your family members arrive to pick through your belongings that the guitar is going to wind up in the hands of the cousin you've always hated?

Heck, someday's it's tough to play when I'm alive (j/k) Come to think of it.  Being buried alive with a guitar is not a good thing it would be impossible to do those Pete Townsend "Windmill" strums

There's only one person I know irl who could appreciate my collection.  We haven't jammed or done anything together in 10 years. Last time I looked he had 35 guitars. It was a weeding process to bring the count that far and some tears were shed.  I've known his girlfriend longer. Met her when I was 13 I can already see the expression on her face when he tries to explain someone (even me) bequeathed them.

I don't know if you've ever seem the movie "Candy Mountain"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Mountain

It starts off a little rough but part of the plot involves this 'master luthier" and people who want his private stock collection of handmade guitars. It's got all the trappings of a quirky Canadian indie film  That's what spawned me to start a thread on the subject.

Sometimes I think if I were nearing that age I'd take em to a salvation army and give em away.

E's got plenty of guitars and a good life, Having mine won't make that life more complete.  None of my family members are musicians and they'd prolly box it away or sell it off.  If I donated it to a Salvation army or similar organization. 1. The proceeds of the sale would go directly to  2. Someone would be freaked out happy at the awesome find they couldn't have afforded elsewise.

Think about it for a minute.  My 1986 Stratocaster Plus is worth roughly 1500USD (more then I paid for it) It has a unique collectors value as it was one of the first to ship "Made In America" again after fender packed up and moved production to japan.  Before I got it I had a '57 Les Paul Deluxe that was highly playable and somewhat road worn. I had no idea who might have owned it previously.  I could only imagine. I drew a lot of inspiration from the LP  more so then the strat even though the strat was infinitely more playable.  Maybe the strat would be an inspiration to it's next user.

I'm only remembering this now... My recent jazz box was part of an estate sale. I've been loving the heck out of it.