Your Ad Could Be Here

Please, Please, if anyone knows a trick to get rid of heartburn, I've had it for two days straight and it is bad!  Just plain water gives me heartburn!  It burns right up into my lower throat and as you can imagine, it makes it really hard to sing.  I can't take tums or any antacids on account of I'm taking a prescription that says I can't.  Help?

Best way is via diet. It takes a while but gets good results as it changes your system.

• Cut out any and all fizzy drinks
  • Cut out animal fat. So go for chicken instead of beef etc. Or become vegetarian
  • Cut out caffeine. Not coffee, no tea.
  • Avoid eating after 8pm
  • Avoid alcohol
  • Avoid spices food, chilli etc
  • I also had to avoid bananas and some nuts.
  • Avoid fruit juice. I found pineapple was the worst.

Some people cite milk as a cure, or way to alieviate heartburn, but it largely depends on the cause of the heartburn. Instead of helping, It can make mattred much worse. 

Have a drink to hand.

How do I know this? As a teenager I threw up the lining of my stomach and tore my oesophagus, almost detaching it from my stomach. It almost killed me. I was left with chronic reflux.  I tried all the main antacids, including two in liquid form. Aluminium Hydroxide work the best from this treatments... but diet was the clear winner.

You might find mineral water works better. Obviously still water, not carbonated.

Also, try simple sips, not so much larger gulps :)

Hopefully this will help.

• Thanks 1

Oh my goodness!  That's awful!.  I didn't even know such a thing could happen!  Ouchee!  

I already do do most of those things, although I did start back up having a coffee in the morning--decaf.  It's my comfort food--hard for me to give up permanently, though I've gone long spans without it.

The other no-no I'm guilty of is eating after 8:00, but now that soccer season is over, it should be a bit easier to avoid that--hopefully!

As far as the cause,  it could be one or both of two things,  I have a hiatal hernia apparently caused from birthing a child and after doing some research, I discovered this medicine I'm on causes heartburn.  

I tend to think this heartburn is from the medicine.  I've never had heartburn like this before.  

I did finally get some some relief from it.  You know what did it?  I read that drinking a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a small amount of water 10 minutes before having a meal helps and it was only after doing that that I got any relief, even after having food.

I can't do milk.  Lactose intolerant, but I wonder if almond milk would work?

I've been doing some reading and found out a lack of enzymes in the stomach can cause it, so I need to see about ingesting more raw fruits and veggies and maybe taking some enzymes.  I also am now taking some probiotics.  Hopefully that helps.  I've never heard of Aluminum Hydroxide.  I'll have to check into that.  Thanks!