Your Ad Could Be Here

Weekly song challenge sort of...

The S

Hey all,

Just posted in the chat box and it got me thinking.

I'm planning to finish up a lyric later today (Sunday) and then record the song. No matter the quality really, more just to get the basic song down and recorded. Anyone up to join me in a weekly tradition maybe?!? Sunday night song crafting?!?!

I work a whole lot better if I got some sort of deadline and it would be awesome if some of you would like to join me. I'm too much of a pro procrastinator to be able to do this on my own so I need the added pressure of a sidekick or better yet, several.

Again, it doesn't have to be fully produced or anything, just a complete song and some sort of recording of it. DAW or iphone doesn't matter.

The goal is to get the productivity and the creative juices flowing on a weekly basis. And to learn how to finish and be done with those song ideas of ours so we can move on to the next one.

Any takers? Let me know!

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

If you can get it together to make it a regular feature, I will feature the thread each week in the newsletter. Perhaps it could become a club? Make it public and it could easily be featured :)... just giving you that extra kick!

I have a bunch of song challenges, so perhaps your challenges could be themed? With so much on my personal plate I have been too erratic in running the challenges. Nice one Peter.

John, I just created a club, was that the right way to go about this?

If so, it needs approval. It is after all...Sunday. ;)

Named "Sunday Night Song Crafting" and I made it public.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by The S
  • Like 1

Ok, one down and it feels...awesome to tell you the truth. :)

Go check it out and please join in next Sunday if you'd like!!!! I'll be thrilled if you do!

Oh, the song is lacking a solo in the mid part, didn't have time tonight but I'll get right to it this week.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by The S
  • Like 1

Well, everything is up for discussion really, there's no set rules. I made the group super public just so people can take a peek and see if it's something for them, you know, to start it off that way at least. It doesn't have to be though because I feel the same way regarding songs/ideas that aren't finished. There's no point in showing those to the general public. I do believe it's a good thing though to do it in a close knit group, takes some of the fear away. And hopefully we can give each other feed back and such.

Regarding every Sunday, that's my goal...BUT...I've done this before and it's super hard to stay consistent, hence the more the merrier. There will be Sundays when having just one great sidekick to help you, push you, drag you over the finish line will be essential. So, don't worry about it, we have the intention of doing good, that will do! :)

C'mon, jump in!!! 

I'll make the club less transparent, even if that also means it won't be as easy to know what we're doing here. Ideas?!! Suggestions?

/Peter

• Like 1

John, is there a way to change the transparency of the club? From public to say, less public?

The best would be to keep it public but have one topic closed for members to post songs and unfinished drafts not visibel to the general public.

Doable?

Let me know!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by The S

2 hours ago, The S said:

John, is there a way to change the transparency of the club? From public to say, less public?

The best would be to keep it public but have one topic closed for members to post songs and unfinished drafts not visibel to the general public.

Doable?

Let me know!

Cheers,

Peter

Done... members can see the club, but have to join to post :) is that what you want?

Just now, john said:

Done... members can see the club, but have to join to post :) is that what you want?

Next level, the club would be visible, but none of the contents would be. There is no way to make a single topic hidden.

just now all is visible, but not postable... my guess is that you make the club visible but all contents hidden. Then create a showcase topic for each challenge in the members showcase, or in the musicians lounge.

With that level of club, members need to be approved by you. Just say and I will make the change.

• Like 1

I apologize. I'm like a mouse in a maze poking around the SS site. Where are these clubs you speak of? My eyes have already glazed over from looking.

The last thing I need to determine is the time in the Eastern USA when it's Sunday night in Sweden.:D 

And specifically,  I'm not sure what this is or how it would work other than as a way to coax one another to creativity in some way? How would you accomplish that? You want us to throw rough tracks out there or make additions to your creations? 

In any case I'm pushed for time, but it sounds interesting...I think. ^_^

So this is like having a critique section for rough drafts(1+1's), but more religiously? Sounds like a good habit to form!

The only down side I see is that it's limited to singer-songwriters. For example, I only write melodies so I can't contribute unless I have access to others' lyrics.

I just thought I should put that out there. ;)

Ken

5 hours ago, john said:

With that level of club, members need to be approved by you. Just say and I will make the change.

Yup, that's it. Please do!

Plaid got it right and I agree. As much as I'd like for it to be completely transparent/open it's probably not possible since the content will not always be ready for public views. The decision to make the song public or not must be left to the writer of the song. Otherwise I'm afraid no one will show up.

Ken, not really critique, feedback sure, if people want to, but the main thing here is to jump start the creativity and above all, finish those songs. So no, I'm not really talking rough drafts here, more so a complete song. If you want to make a full production of it or an iphone recording doesn't matter. You get it? And why can't you join buddy? Just write a full lyric each Sunday and you're good to go. Or find a collaborator and team up and present a song each week. (I know, easier said than done.)

Starise, the idea behind this is not mine, I read about some artists doing it for years and they all praise the idea so I had to try it out and did so last year, but it's a hassle doing it by yourself and unfortunately I'm not that guy. You work against a deadline and you preferably do it with several people and we all push and support each other do get the job done. The beauty of it all is that you force yourself to write and the result is usually surprising in a very good way. You're also forced to finish those songs, and not let self doubt and whatnot take charge.

Some weeks will be a walk in the park, others will be a pain and you'll reach for the iphone ten to midnight just to get something down. And that's the most important factor, to get songs done.

And of course, if a bunch of us will get this going, we'll have a tight nit group, a lot of fun and we'll all become lifelong friends and name our kids after one another. Now how can that not be a good thing?!? (No, I don't mean our SS names, that would just be plain akward!!!) :P

In short, we make a commitment to be creative each week and present a complete song each Sunday. That's it!

We write a song and we put emphasis on finishing it, as in a finished song, lyrics, music and song form. That's the thought and the initial goal. Not a finished product as in a superb and radio ready production. If you want that, fine, but not necessarily so.

Clear things up?

/Peter

Trust me, this is a great thing if we stick to it!

/Peter

Edited by The S

21 hours ago, The S said:

Ken, not really critique, feedback sure, if people want to, but the main thing here is to jump start the creativity and above all, finish those songs. So no, I'm not really talking rough drafts here, more so a complete song. If you want to make a full production of it or an iphone recording doesn't matter. You get it? And why can't you join buddy? Just write a full lyric each Sunday and you're good to go. Or find a collaborator and team up and present a song each week. (I know, easier said than done.)

Got it, thanks. I wish I could contribute to this challenge but my hands are full with juggling work and learning(practicing) music production, so I cannot commit to writing one song a week.

Best,

Ken

Gotcha Usta!!!

No worries and no problem! If you wish for your blog to be "here" or Sunday club to be, it's up to you. Even if only a few days old, I already feel I'll miss your company and posts in da club. You go ahead and clean as much as you'd like and be sure to stop by from time to timeIn the meantime, I'll look for your blog and I'll see you 'round! :)

/Peter