Your Ad Could Be Here

So You Have Your List, What Now?

john

Well there are 2 main ways of working:

1. A default position of liking, commenting, quoting,  retweeting of and posting about fellow network member’s music posts.
  2. Buzz building organised campaigns using pre-made promo materials, on specific days and times and of course posting, retweeting, quoting, commenting and likes.

Number 1 is pretty easy and can be fitted in around our normal lives quite easily. Look at Richard and Jenn’s interactions to get an idea. You can have fun but keep it music related. If you do it right, you will see your followers grow

Number 2 takes preparation and coordination.

Get number 1 going. Remember to talk about your own time, how it is going in the studio, your excitement  about specific songs etc. People should find your stream interesting, engaging and active. You need to dilute the posts where you ask them to buy or listen to your music... less “me, me, me”. Talking about other’s music helps break that up but it keeps it firmly about music.

Even if you dislike my music, you can still talk to me about my music, and/or my music activities. You can still wish me luck and more. More later...

I started connecting with people, and naturally, they started promoting my music without me asking them. You get fans by just talking to people as people and not even necessarily on the basis of both being artists. You find a lot of cool music too, but a lot of bad music as well. 

Really, just be yourself. I mean.. that's what all this is about anyway isn't it?

2 hours ago, Jenn said:

I started connecting with people, and naturally, they started promoting my music without me asking them. You get fans by just talking to people as people and not even necessarily on the basis of both being artists. You find a lot of cool music too, but a lot of bad music as well. 

Really, just be yourself. I mean.. that's what all this is about anyway isn't it?

Which is the natural, organic activity, and organic fan growth. My suggestions above are for going beyond that, to try and increase the rate of growth, especially in the early days. There are a variety of ways you can increase followers, shares and likes beyond that ofjust posting on twitter. In fact, asking for shares and likes etc on twitter itself tends to be ignored. If you were in a band with 4 others, it is unlikely you would have any issue about asking your bandmates to share your music..

It doesn't need to be an either / or situation. We aren't talking about high pressure sales techniques :) lol WhatI suggest above isn't hugely intensive. In fact, very similar to what you and Richard do on a regular basis. You both started interacting on twitter because of a connection outside twitter and a suggestion that you cooperate with each other. That set of interactions has introduced you both to a lot of people, and not only that but introduced you as fun interesting people. All good. What I am suggesting here, for others, is no different.

We work with what we can, and hopefully it recruits enough willing helpers to our cause just because they are nice and they like our music. That doesn't mean we should avoid other methods

1 hour ago, Jenn said:

oh no! i was just adding on to what you were saying 

Ah! I thought you meant instead of. :) Not to worry.

There are other strategies that can be used, though I would say they are generally additions, not replacements.