Your Ad Could Be Here

From "that song in your head" to "that song in your ear" – a few suggestions

MikeRobinson

First of all, catch it!  The very first moment a song wanders through your head, grope for your cell-phone and click "Voice Memo" (or whatever your brand of cell-phone calls it ...).  Hum, whistle, do what have you ... all while smiling pleasantly at those around you who might otherwise wonder what the hell you are doing, and as your spouse rolls his/her eyes knowingly.  But, whatever you do, catch it.  Now.  (Then, make sure to back up your phone to your computer, and to back up your computer to an external drive!)  Add whatever comments come to you at that moment to the same recording.

Next, extract both parts and, separately, context.  The "parts" are the literal melody and the rhythm (possibly basic chords) which immediately surrounds it; the "context" is everything else.  Thus, the "parts" can be reduced to a "lead sheet," while "everything else" is what attracted your mind's ear to it in the first place.  Usually, this "context" will be "something familiar," such as a general style of music (or "trope") that you like, with general characteristics – beats, chords, and the like – that are more-or-less endemic to it.  Thus, you have a foundation to work on, simply by calling-back to what you can see from other musical works that you already know.

Now, to move forward . . . 

Let your initial inspiration ... inspire.  Press the "Record" button and just improvise, for about twenty or thirty minutes.  Play your original capture over and over, and freely play against it.  Don't hit the "Stop" button, and don't throw anything away.  If you "fulb" a line (nad yuo wlil ...) just keep going.

Play through that "inspiration tape" and mark out the best bits.  They could be anywhere.  Now, using your DAW of choice, start re-arranging them.  Don't bother now to try to fix up any "glitches" that you hear.  (That comes later.)  Separately save each-and-every "re-arrangement" that sounds vaguely promising ... save them forever!

Now ... "pick one."

To carry-forward any inspiration into a (potential!) new recording, begin to re-consider the musical style which originally inspired you – "hip-hop," "dubstep," "Neil Diamond," or "Mozart."  😀  Whatever it may be, it is a possible "surroundings."  Thus, a reasonable place to begin.  Even if you start with "the Peanuts Extreme" ([Lucy to Schroeder] "Did you know that Beethoven now comes in spray cans?")any starting-place is a good place to start.

Next ... "take one, take two, take 643 ..."  Starting with your favorite "spray can" added to your re-arranged melody, start improvising, and once again save everything.  Your ear will tell you what "sounds right" and what doesn't.  Your ear will also suggest ideas that may or may not – at that moment – pan out.  But, the combination will probably begin to converge upon a goal.  (Keep every single one of the "also-rans!"  You might use them later!)

– – –>   "Now, Seriously, It's Really Up To You!"  There is a very large "creative space" lurking right about here, right about now, in which you should feel absolutely free to do absolutely anything you want.  (Just do not throw away anything, no matter how wretched you might think it is.  Instead, "save it and try again.  And again.  And again.") "Say, that sounds good, but what if we try this ...?"  Go for it.  Save it.

"Try to wind up with a demo."  This is simply a recording that expresses your idea in a fashion that points forward to a possible future product. Perfecting that demo is an entirely different thing, best left for another day.  What?  You say that you wound up with more than one demo?  Cool ...if you're ready,  let's hear 'em!  😀

- - - 

Please remember that "creativity" is a process that doesn't have "a definite conclusion."  The process of taking "a creative result" to (say ...) "a marble statue," while utterly necessary in the fulfillment of the goal of providing art museums with product for display (and art students for very-boring lectures), is a separate process.  So please don't judge "your creativity" by any marble statue that you might happen to meet!

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Like my favorite songwriter, Mickey Newbury, I write a lot while driving down the road. I prefer my own thoughts to the radio, even on long road trips where I've written a couple of my better songs. I use the memo app on my iPhone to capture initial stream of consciousness lyric flow and even to sing a melody I might be hearing. A few times recently I've been anxious to get to a hotel room on a trip, bust out my paper and pen, and make some sense of my voice clips. I always have my guitar along to get everything as complete as possible. This method works real well for me. As I said, some of my best ideas come as miles roll by!