Your Ad Could Be Here

If you could/do over-use one thing what would it be/is it?

rdb90

This can be directed towards everything...but, mine involves this progression, i use powerchords for this(sadly :( )...I don't like powerchords a lot, over-used...I'm trying to stay away from them now...

(i dont know what i capitalizes...but you can figure it out...)

E-----------------------

B-----------------------

G-6-----9--4---------------

D-6--7--9--4----------------

A-4--7--7--2------------

e-----5------------------

Well what are yours?

Later

Rob

• 1 year later...
This can be directed towards everything...but, mine involves this progression, i use powerchords for this(sadly :( )...I don't like powerchords a lot, over-used...I'm trying to stay away from them now...

(i dont know what i capitalizes...but you can figure it out...)

E-----------------------

B-----------------------

G-6-----9--4---------------

D-6--7--9--4----------------

A-4--7--7--2------------

e-----5------------------

Well what are yours?

Later

Rob

Sorry, I'm a bit of a dork where this kind of thing is concered! Can you explain what this diagram means? I'm guessing it's a guitar neck by the string names on the left. But what are the numbers on the strings?

I think they are fret positions, but dont know what order these are meant to be played or what strings are plucked/struck together.

TAB: I used to use tab when I was a young'un. Steffan Grossman (& others) used to include tab sheets with albums back then. That was quite useful because it was all fingerpicked stuff, and it left all the guesswork out. I would have to study up a little to read them nowadays.

• 2 months later...

Wow. I learnt to play using tabs... Very useful :)

Each line represents a string, and the numbers are fret numbers, if the numbers are in line it's a chord, so you strum it, if they are out of line then you pick each one individually... You have to listen to the music (or know it very well) to get the timings right... So for the example above it is simply a chord progression of: C#5, A5, E5, B5 (unless I'm miss-labelling the neck again! Which wouldn't surprise me...)

There's also long lists of shorthand for different effects/techniques, but they can change from tab to tab, so I wont bother listening ,and they are usually easy to guess... (such as A--3h5p3--- Means play a C on the A string then hammer on to D, then pull off back to C again)

:)

Oh, and I used to over use power chords (I didn't use anything else, except for the odd open one...) Then I diversified... Now I over use song structures, typically Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus, Chorus. If you're lucky there's a bridge! Maybe even a solo... Oh, and one last thing that I haven;t overused YET is my reverse delay pedal... So easy to over use, as any use is a little bit over! lol...

Rohan

P.S. I was 'this close' to posting this with two 'B#'s' in it... Oh dear... *shakes head*

P.P.S Was it just me that completely missed the Simpsons 'B-Sharps' joke first few times round?! Lol... I had it pointed out to me while teaching a friend guitar, I was telling him the intervals and he suddenly pipes up, 'So there's no B#? Wow, the Simpsons just got funnier...'! :)

• 5 months later...
P.P.S Was it just me that completely missed the Simpsons 'B-Sharps' joke first few times round?! Lol... I had it pointed out to me while teaching a friend guitar, I was telling him the intervals and he suddenly pipes up, 'So there's no B#? Wow, the Simpsons just got funnier...'! :)

Welll if you want to be *really* nitpicking your music theory - there *is* a B#, technically speaking. In that regard an F-sharp is technically not the same as a G-flat, either. The plot thickens... :P

http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textb/B-Sharp.html

(for all practical purposes strumming your axe - forget about this, and learn to read tabs, not as convenient as a fake book, but you'll find this notation used more than anything else on the web).