Your Ad Could Be Here

"Out of 429,981,696 possible combinations, please choose one more."

In case you're wondering, this is the number of ways that 12 different notes can be combined into 8 combinations.  "Two 4/4 measures."

Okay – so why did I notice, today, that the notes from "I'm in love with your body" are virtually identical to (Taylor Swift's ...) "Delicate?"

As songwriters, we can dig deeper.  And, I'd like to think that our actual audiences still want us to ...

Edited by MikeRobinson

• 2 weeks later...

Writing songs that catch is a balancing act between what is, for the audience, the familiar and unchallenging versus the unfamiliar and challenging. Too familiar and it is too boring, safe, if not theft! Too unfamiliar and you risk the audience just not getting it. Too much pop (and mainstream music in general) is Dominated by board rooms weighing up risk. I get it. The trouble is the way the music industry markets music is a high stakes roll of the dice based upon brand saturation and market space domination. They try to manage that risk by forcing artists and writers to play it safe, “Give us another ‘Shake it off’ Taylor”. The restrictive contracts the artists and writers sign inevitably make it this way too. If you don’t play ball not only is your stuff not released, but you are stuck in a ridiculous cycle of not being able to use your own artist name.

As for indies, they too are victims of the system, because the listeners, music bloggers, journalists, radio DJs are all victims of this system. Indies are the most free, especially if they have no intention to get anywhere fast. Their problems are more budget and contacts, but for want of both, they largely play the game too, curbing their creativity.

So how do you get people to reinvent the system? Answers on a postcard!

the   simple    answer    is    you    dont   and   if   you  could  it  wouldnt    be  long   before every   body that  still   didn't   succeed  would   blame   the   new   system    the  only   way   forward  i   can   see  is   team   work   composers   lyricist's  singer's   producer's working   together   it  might   be   something   to  focus  on  in  the  future  could    we  on  songstuff   have  our  own   record  label   could  we  find  sponsers  willing  to  help  fund it    

I didn’t see the Doobie brothers in there anywhere Or Porter Waggoner Didn’t he give us Dolly?  I bought the vinyls in early 60s. PM&M, Allan Sherman, New Christy Minstrels and Mom loved Elvis’s gospels. We had no clue there was a business side. Bought 6 albums with the promise of 1 a month for life. 

@Patchez Very late 50s or early 60s. Local Chattanooga TV carried Flat & Scruggs. Porte. Dick Clark just starting. No Shindig or Hullabaloo. 
Evensville TN population 300 maybe. Grammar school auditorium. Maybe 60 people show up for Flat and Scruggs live performance. I’m 10 ish. Walk out into gravel parking lot and see the big bus. Lester is  bent over steering wheel with face in hands. I get feeling he thinks he’s reached rock bottom. 2 years later (more or less) he’s on national TV flirting with the Clampetts in Bev Hill Bs. How was that a good plan?  Stuff happens?