Your Ad Could Be Here

so...Hi!

Niklas

I'm a 44-year old life-long guitarist from Helsinki, Finland. Hello to all.

I found this site as I was searching for online ways of socializing and networking with other musicians. As I said I've played the guitar for years, but lately I've found myself more drawn to making songs (composing?) than just playing for/with others. I also started practicing playing the drums just to get a fresh view into making music.

My tastes for music are really quite broad. My history started with punk and metal, slowly added into the mix pretty much every rock and blues based genre there is, then came jazz and electronic music and hip hop and Jamaican music etc. That is what I listen to but I still find that most of the songs that come out of my head fit under an umbrella of "blues influenced rock-ish" or another one labelled "post-punk gazey-stuff" :)

I don't really know my way around the engineering,mixing etc. part of the game, I can barely get a demo made with Ableton Live. I actually get pretty anxious battling with the computer stuff when I only would like to get an idea out of my head onto some format of recording. Anyways, I would like to explore the possibilities of collaborating with people across the virtual highways, sharing ideas and whatnot.

Now I'll try getting to know how this thing works 😃

• Like 3

Hi Niklas,

Welcome to Songstuff!  Great that you joined us. We have members using Ableton and they might be able to share some information and experiences that could be helpful to you, and your experiences may be helpful  to them.

If you have any questions just ask!  See you around the boards.

:)

Peggy 

Hey Niklas, Welcome to Songstuff. I’m glad you decided to join us. :) An interesting mix of influences. I’m looking forward to hearing your music. Learning how to use music software and gear is something we all have to do. Not just at the beginning, but in an ongoing basis. I call that good fun though!

4 hours ago, Niklas said:

I don't really know my way around the engineering,mixing etc. part of the game, I can barely get a demo made with Ableton Live. I actually get pretty anxious battling with the computer stuff when I only would like to get an idea out of my head onto some format of recording.

demo= to me.....a demonstration of where the song will/has to potential to go, not an almost "finished" product ;) 

Yup trying to over complicate things, and feeling like it has to sound "amazing" because you have some software that does have the capability to make it so, usually is more of a hindrance than a help for just scratching/working stuff out.  Forget your inner-critic, tell that asshole to shut up, let the muse drive.........there's more than enough other people who will tell you it sucks :)  I mean if you spend countless hours with layers and levels and tweaks here and there, are you really going to be open to the idea of changing anything drastic? other than maybe a level here or there.  

and yeah as @Patchez stated.........its been this way for a while now, but everybody seems to be a producer extraordinaire/sound engineer, more so this year than has even been the trend in the past........I mean I have the same stuff "professionals" use that makes it true right? ;)   

Anyway, haha welcome! Enjoy!