Your Ad Could Be Here

Your Studio Space

Hi Gang

What does your space to make music look like?

I just tidied my studio! Eek! It had been a complete mess.

It's looking so much better now. A much better place to be making music!

D1207E9C-E23E-469C-B739-7AA0B482230B.jpeg

E9E3BAD0-5FF8-40C8-977D-BDF6C3BC17C0.jpeg

Cheers

John

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, haim shim said:

Cool monitors, what company are they? Great studio look. Mine is actually not so fancy...

hey Haim Shim

I’ve actually just updated my studio (after taking these pics). I’ll try and post up some new pics later today (I have some new gear racks, two new keyboards and a control surface with some near field monitors).

The monitors in the pic are Tannoy M1 Cherry. They make some awesome studio monitors. Strictly speaking M1’s are vintage HiFi speakers, I used as monitors because they were always meant to be part of a multi-monitor set up, allowing me to do mix comparisons. I build mixes using my cans and active nearfields (Presonus Eric’s 4.5’s) then check out mixes on the Tannoys run through a Cambridge Audio power amp, on Fischer speakers run through a Marantz power amp + via a Fischer power amp, also with a great quality Denon system, and via a gaming system set up with a subwoofer. I also have a mono radio amp and speaker but I can’t remember the last time I used it.

I keep threatening to swap the tannoy’s for some Yamaha HS7’s. The Tannoy’s would then be in the alternate set up, probably hooked up to the Marantz, leaving the Fischer system intact. It would save a speaker swap during mix checks. As ever, money is the deciding factor... and so the HS7’s will have to wait.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john said:

hey Haim Shim

I’ve actually just updated my studio (after taking these pics). I’ll try and post up some new pics later today (I have some new gear racks, two new keyboards and a control surface with some near field monitors).

The monitors in the pic are Tannoy M1 Cherry. They make some awesome studio monitors. Strictly speaking M1’s are vintage HiFi speakers, I used as monitors because they were always meant to be part of a multi-monitor set up, allowing me to do mix comparisons. I build mixes using my cans and active nearfields (Presonus Eric’s 4.5’s) then check out mixes on the Tannoys run through a Cambridge Audio power amp, on Fischer speakers run through a Marantz power amp + via a Fischer power amp, also with a great quality Denon system, and via a gaming system set up with a subwoofer. I also have a mono radio amp and speaker but I can’t remember the last time I used it.

I keep threatening to swap the tannoy’s for some Yamaha HS7’s. The Tannoy’s would then be in the alternate set up, probably hooked up to the Marantz, leaving the Fischer system intact. It would save a speaker swap during mix checks. As ever, money is the deciding factor... and so the HS7’s will have to wait.

Congrats man, seeing this kind of pictures definitely inspires me to have more organized place, so for sure I always would love to see more photos of studios. Thanks for explaining to me about the Tanoy monitors, expanding my knowledge is a good thing. Sounds like you have a pro setup, many components. Like a real studio in your home studio. Are you also recording others?

2 hours ago, haim shim said:

Are you also recording others?

I used to, but haven’t done for ages. Life got in the road of my music activity. My gear got old. Revitalising my studio was an essential component of moving forward with becoming much more active again with my own music. I honestly spent so much energy helping others that I had little time for my music... it took a while to appreciate that I help others at my best by making sure that I progress my own music as a priority. People listen more to what you say when they see you doing! :)

I enjoy helping others, but music is such an integral part of my life I can’t believe it was almost shelved, at least in terms of recording and production.