Your Ad Could Be Here

How do I set up an in-house music production studio and get started ? | Short read

• Noob

Hey guys, hope you all are safe. Sharing this article. Let me know what you guys think!

Whether you are getting started with music production just for passion or for making it as a professional career and to make money for a living, you need to know the basics. Here in this blog, I am listing out the hardware and software that you need for getting started.

The 6 main equipment that you require are as follows:

Computer:

The most important part of a studio setup is the Computer. Let us dive in on what exact configuration can be helpful for us in getting started with music production!

computer for music production

What Computer do I buy?

I started with my Sony Vaio back in 2015. The laptop had 500 GB hard disk, intel core i3 processor, and 4 GB RAM.

That means, we can start with basic versions of computers that are available in the market. You can find one in Amazon.

what computer for music production

DAW:

Obviously, we can't ignore this part. The DAW or the Digital Audio Workstation is the software we will talk to. Right from entering notes, to arranging our song, and mixing and mastering for final release - this friend will be with us, from start to finish!

DAW for home studio setup

What DAW do I use?

I use FL Studio. Its very user friendly. I started with some tutorials from YouTube. Make it simple. Learn the basics. And then apply your methods of producing!

For getting started with FL Studio read my article here: What is FL Studio and how do I use it?

537b3b_0a4641081e3e44cda2d05dc38d05e669~mv2.webp

Famous musicians like Martin Garrix, Avicii, Alan Walker use FL Studio for music production. Suggested Read: How did Avicii start producing?

Studio Monitors:

Studio monitors play a vital role in music production. The output from these are very accurate and thus the songs or instrumentals produced sound good in all devices after rendering.

speakers / Studio monitors for home studio

What Studio Monitors do I buy?

Even though for getting started, even the computer's speakers are okay, we might need to buy these when we need to release some tracks for commercial use.

What studio speakers do i buy

Amazon has this pair of monitors. With some good reviews as well. The pricing seems like this is made for beginners. We can definitely choose this.

Microphone

For recording, we need good microphones which cuts the unwanted background sounds.

microphone for studio setup

What microphone do I buy?

This is required if we need to record vocals. If we are only into music production, this is not very much required. However, if you are recording songs with vocals, we definitely need some a microphone.

537b3b_741cd37af6314df1a8f656c6b699f20b~mv2.webp

condenser mic

Headphones

Studio monitors can be used for production. However, as per convenience, we can also use studio headphones which are specifically made for production.

headphones for studio setup

What Headphones do I buy for music production?

See some reviews on some of the products on e-commerce sites and you will be all set to go.

What Headphones do I buy for music production?

A MIDI Keyboard

Even though we can use samples for music production, we can compose our own sounds using the piano roll in any DAW. For entering notes, we either need a MIDI keyboard, a mouse, or we can also use the computer's keyboard!

midi keyboard for music production

What MIDI do I buy for music production?

Amazon has some good options to choose from. Make sure to read the reviews before getting one.

537b3b_bf7dacbbeef0479ca104f95f7a3c453c~mv2.webp

Music production has always been interesting for me. I can literally spend 14-18 hours a week. Its so addictive. Many are making living out of music production now-a-days as well.

Here is EDM Superstar Avicii, in his home studio!

avicii in studio

Thanks for reading.

Archived