Your Ad Could Be Here

How has your songwriting changed over the years?

• Editors

Songwriting & music has largely been a journalistic motivation for me. To capture what I'm going through or the things on my mind in that period of time.

I used to write quite a few songs back in the day that dealt with negative emotions, my struggles with mental health and so on. Over the years, the muse has shifted to a different pallat of emotion ( acceptance, finding purpose, questioning the idea of society etc) and in consequence the sonic output that comes from it.

I'd love to know if you've noticed anything similar on your journey in making music & writing songs! I know everybody has their own way of approaching these things and I'm curious to know about it. :)

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • Editors
19 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

I was too detached emotionally from what I was writing on, to the point where it became difficult for me to enjoy and relate to stories and songs I wrote for myself. My style had become a bit too rigid and disconnected.

I totally get what you mean VoiceEx! When younger, my creative muse was fuelled by my mental health struggles & whatnot. But as I grew out of my 'youth'ly ways of thinking, there was this period where I couldn't write anything to my satisfaction. And I think it was because I only knew how to write 'sad' music.  lol And with a lot of the supposed sadness having subsided with age, I had to find other ways of creative outlet & expression that reflected what I actually felt.

Twas a strange time for sure. Anyways, thank you for your thoughts. Very interesting indeed!

• Like 1