Your Ad Could Be Here

On 12/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, Cameron Bettany said:

Im making a song, haven't got any lyrics so far and don't think i will add any but, i was wondering how long a song title is too long. i was thinking of naming it "we once laid on the grass together. looking at the sky." but thought it seemed too long. can anyone help or give opinions, id appreciate it :)

It’s certainly longer than most. For some, the genre of your music and your target audience can affect the language you use, the complexity of the lyrics, the topic and the title.

The fact that you are asking has you questioning it as a choice. I suppose you could look to remove unnecessary words? For example “together”. You already have “we” which can imply together. “Once” could be removed. It places it as past tense, but so does “laid”.

That would give you “We laid on the grass, looking at the sky”

It is a little bit shorter, a little bit snappier.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, Cameron Bettany said:

Im making a song, haven't got any lyrics so far and don't think i will add any but, i was wondering how long a song title is too long. i was thinking of naming it "we once laid on the grass together. looking at the sky." but thought it seemed too long. can anyone help or give opinions, id appreciate it :)

Brevity is not only the soul of wit but also that of hook writing. A well established practice for many successful writers is to make their song title the same as the hook in the song.

The hook is generally either the first line of the verse, the first line of the chorus, or the musical intro.

An example in your case might be Looking At The Sky for a title.

For one of the best example of hook writing listen to Van Morrison's song Jackie Wilson Said. There is a musical vocal a cappella intro hook, the title as the first line of the first verse hook, a refrain hook "Let it all hang out" and a chorus hook "I'm in heaven when you smile". There is additionally a scat sung break hook "Branga a lang a lang".

The Rolling Stones use a purely musical hook to begin Brown Sugar then repeat the title in the first line of the chorus.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Popthree said:

I read it as past tense intentional. Looking back at a memory. I have no problem with really long song titles. Has anyone ever made one a paragraph long? Probably not but maybe something I will consider myself.

There have been loads of long song titles. A few I am aware of:

“My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion (The Inner Life as Blazing Shield of Defiance and Optimism as Celestial Spear of Action)” - The Flaming Lips

“I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me” - Fall Out Boy

and a lot earlier than either of those… who can forget this Roger Waters’ track from 1969, on Ummagumma:

“Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict” - Pink Floyd

On 12/13/2021 at 1:42 PM, Clay Anderson Johnson said:

A well established practice for many successful writers is to make their song title the same as the hook in the song.

This is a really good bit of information.  With a good hook, the title just jumps out.  

• 5 months later...

I don't think it matters as long as it suits the song.

I think Iggy Pop once said something along the lines of the title needing to encapsulate the song - i.e. once you've heard the title, you should have a fair idea of what you're going to hear about during the next 2'30". I personally like that approach.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It sounds like you're aiming at an instrumental. If there are no lyrics then the title should be something that entices someone to listen. If there are lyrics then usually the title is based on their text, but not necessarily. In other words feel free to break the rules, it will help you learn why there are rules in the first place. I'm an old guy, I've come up with lots of titles and there have been times when I was stuck> I wrote an instrumental piano piece and was stuck with coming up with a title. Then it dawned on me that I should just name the feeling I was trying to express and the piece was titled Consolation. FWIW I played it for my father's celebration of life, though that was many years after I'd written it.

The simple truth is, there's no right or wrong. Name it 'whatever' or 'anything' and you will learn from the experience. That's how you get to Carnegie Hall.