Your Ad Could Be Here

INSTRUMENTAL - inspired by two chords

Every song needs a spark, and just the first two chords did it for me, leading to "The Coast", track 2 on the album Prescient (2015).

I’ve always loved Eadd9 ... especially on a 12-string!  On a whim I tried exactly the same shape elsewhere and finally found the 2nd chord (Am7+6 is my guess at the chord name).  These two together somehow got me going.

image.png.b19f5afcb6c1e6e22fd3a88bd271d57b.png

After working up the sections, it was a relief to realise I had enough harmonic variation for a complete instrumental.  There was no need for any theme with 'deep and meaningful words and metaphors' and, even better, no need for singing!!  HOORAY! :) 

The bass on this is unusual for me ... a melodic instrument.  Getting the right sounds to match your imagination is often a pain, but it’s great once found.  The MIDI bass here comprises three separate samples ... plucked bass, fretless bass and synth pad.  Together these give each note a percussive start, a shortish buzz, and an ongoing tail. I felt this sound removed any requirement for additional instruments other than the lead synth.

This was also the first time I used the EZ Drummer 2 plugin.  This was a huge turning point for me as I no longer had to trawl the net for loops (which need to be found and auditioned by the barrow-load).  Now I could quickly specify the beat, choose the vibe, tailor it for each section, and build it throughout the track.

Cheers,

Greg 

Very nice.  The only thing that I would personally do it is to adjust the relative volume levels: that "high treble brassy part" is fairly overwhelming the plucked strings, but I don't think that you really meant for it to be the one that is most prominent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very good arrangement and performance. The arpeggios anchor the song well for the vibes on synth. I was expecting a little more of crescendo, but the way you took it home worked very nicely.

Edited by Jim622
  • Like 1