Your Ad Could Be Here

Jack White Urges Labels To Build Their Own Record Pressing Plants

• 2 weeks later...

He's speaking of a business issue really, so I guess if the demand is there then he has a point.

Coming from the vinyl era I've never really understood the resurgent desire for vinyl, given the widespread use of digital recording and mastering. I've taken the view that it's best to listen in the form the music was recorded in. When CDs first appeared, there was a slew of remasterings, which were just old analog masters pressed to CD, failing to take into account they were mixed for vinyl and engineers compensated for top end loss in pressing. I guess the tchnology has gotten better but I haven't been tempted to explore it.  I've always thought of it in these terms:

Digilog.jpg.2c4e0bc7b05661b955993556133fa2c3.jpg

Neither is a perfect representation. Why mix them up? Of course one of the great things about vinyl albums was the covers, which were easier to read and roll joints on.