Your Ad Could Be Here

INSTRUMENTAL - Happy vs. Melancholic

The most common critique from family and friends has always been that my songs are far too slow AND sad.  This feedback continued even after I stopped asking them for feedback! :) 

My two 'happiest' and toe-tapping creations have been instrumentals: the second half of "In Two Minds" (posted elsewhere) and this one ... "Guitar Sweet", a set of James Taylor-esque chord sequences.  JT material was common in my sets when I used to perform.  With no lyrics suggesting themselves, I progressed it as an instrumental and organised the sequences into a ‘song structure' (see below).  Acoustic 'guitar-only' sounded fine and dandy to me but I felt it might sound unsophisticated to others, so I added a minimal arrangement ... just drums and bass.  After trial and error, the start and end sections were eventually left alone as unadorned bookends.

I named it Guitar Sweet not only because it was a sweet-sounding piece but also it made a nice on-the-page joke as another track on the album was called Guitar Suite (posted elsewhere).

Cheers,

Greg

image.png.eb518dedb8a0fd3b6a9c09d820bff31d.png

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Terribly sorry that this thread has so far received no replies.  I think that this is an excellent piece of music, and very "happy."  The chord progressions are refreshing and interesting, leading the ear through various musical spaces before returning to the main stream.  You are an excellent guitarist.  Thank you very much for sharing.

(Nice video, also!)

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Terribly sorry that this thread has so far received no replies

As with everything else in this crowded world of music, all you can do is put stuff out there.  Even on this specialty site, no one can listen to (or even like) everything that is posted.  I really appreciate you taking the time to listen, and even more time to write a response 👍

Greg

@GregB: "This inevitably happens." Sometimes a forum post simply gets "missed." Then, it wakes up again.

On 7/20/2022 at 12:17 AM, Gtar Pkr said:

I want to know how you recorded that guitar

Hi GP.  My Takamine 12-string sounds full and bright in real life and, at the start of any album recording, I load new strings ... D’Addario EJ39 (Phosphor Bronze, Medium Gauge, .012-.52).  95% of my songs are acoustic guitar-centric so I always record two tracks simultaneously ... DI (full sound via the Takamine piezo under-bridge pickup) and condenser Mic (for atmospherics like string noise). Both are EQ'd a little differently, have about 3db compression reduction, and are panned about 45 degrees Left and Right.   The EQ and Compression are via ProTools' stock plugins.

• Like 1

I've tried that with a little phantom powered cigar mike, but I get way too much bass from the body; and room ambiance from hardwood floors lol... I'm gonna' find a cheap little condenser and experiment :)

• 1 month later...

Absolutely freakin lovely!!!! Your guitar playing is excellent and the harmony is far advanced from what you typically hear on solo guitar. My only critique would be the drums don't sound as lively as the guitar. Are they live drums or samples? If samples try layering in a subby kick to complement the snap of the one you have and give it more impact. I'd also layer in a different snare for more pop. I might also add some bass in spots.

To Gtar Pkr: don't buy a cheap condenser, spend at least a couple hundred bucks. I'm not saying buy a 414 (much less a U87), I'm saying get a decent condenser. A Lauten Audio LA220 is $328 at Sweetwater. In my experience you get what you pay for and a condenser mic that's around $100 is cheap for a reason.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:36 AM, Pantonal said:

1. ... the drums don't sound as lively as the guitar. Are they live drums or samples? 

2. To Gtar Pkr: don't buy a cheap condenser, spend at least a couple hundred bucks. 

Hi. Thanks for the detailed response.

1. My drums parts to date have always been via EZ Drummer 2.  Other than rhythm and general tone, I lack any band experience or sophistication in tweaking the sounds of each part of the kit.  I love drums but I don't understand them. I'm simply an acoustic guitarist trying for a fuller production. (More excuses available on request 😄

2. My condenser mic here was a Rode NT1.  Affordable and, to my ears, nice enough sound.  Other factors include:

• Mic placement.  I simply don't have the patience (or the acuity of hearing) to identify the absolute best position.
  • EQ.  Mainly subtracting undesirable elements rather than boosting the good ones

Cheers,

Greg