Your Ad Could Be Here

Voice recording

A coat hanger and pantyhose makes a cheap pop shield.

From a pdf on compression by therecordingrevolution.com -

A great way to get an upfront vocal sound is to use not just one compressor but two.

The idea here is that by using two compressors with gentle/subtle settings, you can create a more “compressed” and radio ready vocal sound without having to push any one compressor too hard. In essence you are compressing the already compressed sound. This keeps the vocals sounding modern yet natural.

Example: Start with a typical gentle vocal compression setting (2:1 ratio and 3db of gain reduction on the loud peaks). Then duplicate that compressor and insert it right after the first one. Adjust the output/gain knob of the second compressor to make sure you aren’t making the vocal too loud.

TIP: Don’t feel the need to use different compressors to accomplish this. I typically copy the exact same compressor plugin and insert it right after the original. The point is the process here, not necessarily the tone.

15 hours ago, Glammerocity said:

Thx Glammerocity, i dont have good voice so i need try mask my voice in post produt ion with efects. Thx i will try this metod in my songs. 

• 1 month later...

Performance-related, I remember an engineer in a session telling me to exaggerate my mouth shapes. It feels silly but then I started realising how many singers sound exaggerated. Think Mick Jagger. His mouth is like a sack of frogs and it markedly affects his pronunciation.

• Like 1

Practice. Practice singing unaccompanied. Sing along with recordings. Singing live. Singing recorded. Lots of singing.

Take care of your voice.

Ear training.

Proper breath control on tracks where the breathing points have been identified according to the vocal effort required.

Learn how to sing with different microphones, trying to achieve different vocal sounds.

@Glammerocity is right. Exaggerated mouth shapes takes a little practice to get the balance right but it really does help. Jagger is a great example.

Only one headphone on your ear also helps. Pan fold back all to that headphone to give a mono mix, with nothing coming out the unused speaker.

Do multiple takes. Use a comping plug in.

Use a vocal timing and tuning plug in to tighten up harmonies. You can edit timing manually but it takes a long time by comparison to something like Revoice Pro or Ultra. Particularly useful for pop and alt pop productions.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:34 PM, Riff said:

Hello, any sugestins to record vocal propietly. Panning , Double tracking ,effects , backing vocals , etc...

I search on YT but i want more. I record in Cubase. 

First of all, the examples you mention - panning, double tracking, effects,  backing vocals, etc. - have nothing to do with recording vocals.  They are about mixing and arranging vocals for a song.  In my opinion, there is no one-size-fits-all with respect to mixing and arranging decisions for any given song, other than to follow the general guideline of "do what sounds best to you, while fixing what doesn't sound good to you" for that song.  In my opinion, you seem to be doing this by trying to "mask" your voice with effects.  One effect that hasn't been mentioned though, is pitch correction, which might go a long way to helping you "like" what you hear from your voice on playback.  Cubase Pro has pitch correction, and there are many VST effects plugins available too.  Also, if your don't like "your voice," you could try changing your voice.  Just like we can all talk with different types of voices, we can sing with different ones too.  Try to mimic a singer that has better control, even if doing so breaks all the rules of how to sing "properly."   As a last resort, you could utilize other singers - be they human or artificial.

Edited by HoboSage
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, john said:

Only one headphone on your ear also helps.

Relatedly, monitor level can affect pitch - too quiet and you could sing flatter, and vice versa. Also works for some acoustic instruments.

• Like 1