Your Ad Could Be Here

So You Think Your Lyrics Are Poor?

john

• 2 weeks later...

wow.... and I thought the fishsticks song was stupid!

LISTEN TO IT!

Lyrics..... I fixed the spelling so you could actually read it!.. but seriously.. just listen to it!

Josh Tobin "Fish Sticks"

Fish Sticks Fish Sticks! What A Delicious Treat

Fish Sticks Fish Sticks! There Very Good To Eat

Fish Sticks Fish Sticks! Yummm Mm Gimee Gimee Gimee Yet Me Have Some

fish Sticks So Delicious

Try One (Ok)Now You Are Addicted

To The Sweet Fishy Taste And Now My Fishsticks Are In Your Face

And I Love Them Baked Or Fried If You Dont Like Fishsticks Then You Justed Lied

And Thats illegal Dont Feed Fishsticks To A Seagull

Just Mail Them To Me And Fish Sticks Taste Like Candy

Im The King Of The Fishstick Game I Eat So Many IM Goin Insane

they Call Me The Fish Stick Eater

My Girlfriend Begged Me Not To Beat Her With Fishstick (Oh No)

Eat A Chicken Stick No I Wont

Eat A Magical Candy Stick What Is This Some Kind Of A Trick

The Only Stick That I Eat Is From The Sea

Its Not A Stick That Comes From A Tree

It Come From A Fish Deepfried In Bater

Eat One Enongh With With The Chit Chater

eat Some With Ketchup Sauce Tony Danza Told Me That IM The Boss

Cuz Im Really Cool I Eat Fish Stick When IM Partyin At The Pool

Or When Im In A Magic Forest I Eat Fishstick When I Rock The Corus

( Hey Josh Whats The Word On The Street) Fish Sticks Are A Delicious Treat

girls With Boobs Dance On My Lap

Im Cool Check Out My Backwards Hat

My Rappin Is Good Everybody Like My Rap In My Neighborhood

Like My Neighbors Betty And Jim When I Do Rap Im Into When My Rapin Is Cool

I Do Rappin When IM Sit In In School

I Can Do Rap Non Stop I Ribid Ribde Ribide Ribide Rap Alot

7 12 14 A-Million 100 3 6 A-Billion

( Hey Josh Whats The Word On The Street) Fish Sticks Are Very Good To Eat

There The Best To Digest I Eat Fish Stick When I Wear My Best Vest

sometimes I really wonder if lyrics really matter in a song. here we all worrying over the smallest phrase, and people write this crap and the song sells. doesn't do much for kudos, but pretty beneficial for your bank account.

my conclusion is that concepts excite and stimulate people and their emotions. the idea of the lyric. the songwriter's challenge is to write a song that supports that concept. most songs by far have a message that is connected to the idea, but the emphasis on that is partly driven by genre, in the same way that the depth of information, or rhyme scheme is often effected by genre.

fundamentally if the concept appeals, and the lyric supports that appeal, and doesn't break the expression of that concept, that is what we as songwriters desire and work towards.

people who undervalue lyrics are happy to churn out any old lyrical rubbish. sometimes they do produce something that communicates an idea that appeals and the lyric and it sells (a decent record company pulling strings and throwing budget at it helps) but the success of songs like this is not a reason not to have poor quality lyrics. who is to say the songs in question wouldn't have been more popular if the kinks hadn't been ironed out.

the first lyric posted at the start of the topic may have been a great creative exploration, but somehow I think it was just sheer laziness and lack of creativity on the part of the writer, possibly to make a deadline for a record company lol. for me at least it just demonstrates contempt for the fans.

In fairness to that song it is a dance song, and a sample rather than an attempt at lyrics... Having seen them live I actually have a reasonable amount of respect for them! OK, so I'm not a huge fan of the music style (I tend to mong out when put in a club with dance music on!) but the fact they were stood in a giant pyramid on stage wearing light-up robot suits was cool.. and that they mixed all their songs into pretty much one hour and a half crazy mash up was pretty cool too, I don;t imagine any of their gigs are the same! All in all a good live act, just less good recorded.

Ooh, on the subject of Daft Punk though, Anyone heard the (I believe) Kanye West cover type thing? Where he just raps on top of the orignal song 'stronger,better,faster'? It's the most talentless piece of sh*t I've had the misfortune to be assaulted by. Fair enough, so he can rap, but usually people at least mute the originals lyrics!

Actually, on second thoughts I'm gonna try an leave that there before I get all worked up, cause that guys done a 'cover' of Nirvana's unplugged in NY version of plateau... Nuff said...

Rohan

Some good points expressed already about the relative importance of lyrics to different genres. Dance music, for example, doesn't require profundity. People who listen mostly to dance music, typically, are not particularly interested in the lyrics. Country songs are the other extreme. They are basically stories, and evocative lyrical vingettes set to music.

But there are also diffent sorts of listeners. My wife enjoys a good lyric, but doesn't consider them particularly important to the song. Other people, and this includes most lyric writers, don't care for too many songs that don't have a good lyrics.

Moral: Don't ask a dancer to review your lyrics :)

• 1 month later...

I thought it would be fun to do a critique of this referenced lyric:

Theme: Robot rock

Story: Robot rock

Main hook: Robot rock

Secondary hook: Robot rock

Empnasis through alliteration: Robot Rock

Empnasis through repetition: Robot Rock

Overall very consistent, the story stays on point beautifully. May need some variation in the delivery of the repetitive sections to avoid monotony.

I was reading an article on songwriting about the Beatles. Alot of people consider their lyrics to be....abstract at best. But McCartney was king of melodies. The point of the article was the recent propensity for songwriters to write their songs more by starting with a riff or chord progression than to start with a melody and flesh the song outwards from that. It was his opinion that it is far superior to start with a good melody and who can really argue with the success of the Beatles eh?

Cheers,

Timothy