Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi to All.

Here is what I have....

I have composed music for piano on Sibelius 7 First soft ware and downloaded it to wave format (can convert to MP3).

I have (or will have) a PG42USB Side Address Condenser Microphone for USB Plug&Play

What do I need to simply record my vocal to the music I have composed?  i.e. I play the music on my computer and record my voice to it.  I want to make a good recording - semi-professional - that doesn't sound like I recorded it in the garage with traffic going by. :thumbdown:

Do I need a audio recording software... Reaper?

Do I need a audio interface such as Avid?  doesn't the USB mic make this redundant?

Any help that is not technically challenging would be greatly appreciated.  I am willing to learn but I need to start simple. :thumbup1:

Thanks,

Al

that doesn't sound like I recorded it in the garage with traffic going by. :thumbdown:

Are you recording in the garage with traffic going by?

Kidding aside, don't forget the microphone is a recording device. We'd love it to be a vocal recording device only, but it will also record the surroundings and more importantly, the room itself. That is the sole reason why most amateur recordings compared to professional recordings sound well...amateurish. The room. Get the room right and you've come a long way. Food for thought.

Half the battle is won right there. It's a great start. 

Next is to listen to the many great people on this site, like Hobo above, that has a ton of knowledge about what different equipment goes with what etc,

That's really not my cup of tea so I will not advice you either. I have great stuff but only because I have great friends that told me what to buy. They also said, no matter how much great stuff you might purchase, if the room sucks your recordings will too.

S

Edited by The S

Your mic has a built-in interface with a headphone jack and what looks like a variable mix/monitor function for low-latency monitoring while you record.  So, with Reaper, you should be good to go.  If I were you, I'd slave Sibelius to Reaper via ReWire.

Whether you don't record traffic noises will depend more on your recording environment than your gear, and whether what you record ends up sounding good on playback will, in addition to how you record things, also have a lot to do with how you mix things, and that is in turn dependent in part on your playback environment and your playback system.

David

P.S.  Get a pop screen for your mic too.  They're super cheap and worth it.

Are you recording in the garage with traffic going by?

Kidding aside, don't forget the microphone is a recording device. We'd love it to be a vocal recording device only, but it will also record the surroundings and more importantly, the room itself. That is the sole reason why most amateur recordings compared to professional recordings sound well...amateurish. The room. Get the room right and you've come a long way. Food for thought.

Half the battle is won right there. It's a great start. 

Next is to listen to the many great people on this site, like Hobo above, that has a ton of knowledge about what different equipment goes with what etc,

That's really not my cup of tea so I will not advice you either. I have great stuff but only because I have great friends that told me what to buy. They also said, no matter how much great stuff you might purchase, if the room sucks your recordings will too.

S

Thanks to you both... I have a nice little quiet room which I'll work on to get the environment right... also, I have been searching (via google) all kinds of DAW systems, sound cards, audio-interfaces for hours.... I wanted to keep it simple to start and see where it goes... so to clarify you comment David.. when you say "playback system" what do mean exactly? speakers? etc.? 

Thanks,

Al

PS  I have already ordered the pop screen. thanks again for the advice.

Your mic has a built-in interface with a headphone jack and what looks like a variable mix/monitor function for low-latency monitoring while you record.  So, with Reaper, you should be good to go.  If I were you, I'd slave Sibelius to Reaper via ReWire.

Whether you don't record traffic noises will depend more on your recording environment than your gear, and whether what you record ends up sounding good on playback will, in addition to how you record things, also have a lot to do with how you mix things, and that is in turn dependent in part on your playback environment and your playback system.

David

P.S.  Get a pop screen for your mic too.  They're super cheap and worth it.

Hi again David... I'll try not to be a pest ... but.... I downloaded Reaper and saw the ReWire function.... but to be honest ... every time I try something unknown on a computer I get into deep ----!  So... what should happen if I "slave" Sibelius to Reaper  and how do I do it..... just so you know ... this is going to take some courage....  but thanks for your advise and expertise.  I really can't wait to do my first recording.  Al   

Al:

I'm not familiar with notation software in general or Sibelius 7 specifically.  But, I do know your program and Reaper both support ReWire.  What I ReWire with Reaper is Propellerhead's Reason, and Propellerhead invented ReWire.  So, for my setup, I just bring up an empty track in Reaper, arm it, and click ReWIre with Reason as one the f/x choices I have.  It's that simple.  Reaper even automatically launches Reason for me.  But, apparently it may not be that simple with Sibelius and Reaper.  http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=137265

There are lots of ReWire tutorials on the web.  There's going to be a learning curve for you, Bro. :)

David

P.S.  If syncing Sibelius with Reaper via ReWire doesn't meet your needs or is too hard to figure out, you can also try syncing them via MIDI clock.  Again, you'll have to research that on the web if you're not familiar with it.  That's something I've never done, but I know syncing via MIDI clock can be done - that's what MIDI clock is for.

Thanks again David.   I did order "Home Recording for Beginners"  and also Reaper's Guide... hopefully I'll get the learning curve going.  Thanks again... I'll only "call" (maybe yell) if I get into a real jam.... Best,  Al