Your Ad Could Be Here

corrupted file

My SIAB (Boss BR1600) has failed me recently. A track I had nearly completed became corrupted. If the error messages are anything to go by, its due to disc fragmentation. The BR1600 uses a 80 g hard disc.

I saved out the corrupted song when it looked like disaster looming. It saved out onto no less than 15 DVD write discs. It took hours. I have also rescued what I can as a sound file, but have now started to record the whole thing again.

Perhaps I should just delete the original song in case?

Does the OS have a disk defrag. command? If so, you could possibly defragment the disk. In any case I doubt I wouldn't trust the machine any more until I could replace the HDD.

Most of those older Boss.Roland machines have a factory reset function. Unfortunately though all data would probably be lost.

Resolving a fragmented hard drive. 

http://www.bossus.com/support/knowledge_base/201971529

If you could find a computer type who can look at the data you saved  on a PC, they might be able to deglitch it.

If the Boss saved to readable .wav files. It would be much easier to rip and maybe save.

It got worse Tim (see Recording area post). I tried to delete the song and the unit hasnt worked since. I am trying to find someone who can attempt data recovery. My laptop cant see the unit with a USB link.

I had re-recorded the track 70% when this happened (3 further days work). I dont know what format the audio files are but the work data files are massive. It saves to disc as an audio file which I normally convert to MP3 for posting on SoundCloud.

You could try this. It's the factory reset procedure.

-Press UTILITY, cursor to "initialize". Press enter. Cursor to "all".Press ENTER twice. 

If this doesn't work my 1st guess is a problem with the the HDD. It could be loose connections. removing and re seating the HDD might fix that. 

Since you mentioned a disk error message, and to save the unit for future use, you could search for a new HDD. 

I should add that if it doesn't boot you may need to load a new file system on the new drive. 

I seen this link. I can't vouch for the source.- seems ok. Warranty?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/128-160-GB-GIG-HARD-DRIVE-UPGRADE-ROLAND-BOSS-BR-1600-1600CD-BR1600-BR1600CD-NEW-/371851285049?hash=item5694105239:g:yWoAAOxyxSNRnM9B

I know from past experience that Rowland/Boss dont support out of production models. This is old tech. The web community and product advice is about the best I'm going to get.

Its nice to see how easy the HD replacement would be though. I do have the Drums CD to replace on a new drive but fear the loop phrase bank would be lost.

This is where the problem escalated to ...

I didn't realize you were thinking the replacement route just yet. It might be a paperweight right now. Could very likely be given new life. Good luck with your choice.

Archived