Your Ad Could Be Here

What Degree Do I Need?

I'm about to start my Junior year in high school. I have a meeting in two months with my counselor to discuss this year's schedule and post-graduation plans. I want to pursue music (Obviously LOL) but I am struggling to find a good, affordable college that can give some great knowledge about the music business. I want to be comfortable in a studio and know my way around and how to use just about everything. I also really want to be able to perform my music as well. I want to be in charge of creating my own music. I just don't really know what degree I would need to pursue such needs. Anything will help! Thanks.

1 hour ago, tunesmithth said:

My first reaction is that your focus is too wide.

1) The music industry, 2) music technology 3) music itself (as well as performance of it) are 3 distinctly different areas of expertise. 

You may be better to select "one" & use it as a jumping-off point.

Overall...

• I doubt that many (if any) colleges offer programs to educate you on the "Business of Music". You can certainly inquire, but I doubt that formal education will do much for you here.
  • You may very well find that an education in music technology is offered at some institutions now-a-days, but this is a specialty unto itself.
  • College level "Music" programs are offered at most major institutions, as was the case back in my day.;) These types of programs are focused almost entirely on the art of music, rather than the world of it. I'll warn you up-front that the prerequisites for aspiring music majors are many. These programs assume their candidates...
  1. already possess an extensive knowledge of basic theory
  2. read music fairly well (both treble & bass clefs)
  3. have some formal ear-training (on day-1 they will sit you'll find yourself in an ear training class where they expect you to recognize 2-note intervals played on a piano...major 3rds, 5ths, octaves, etc.)
  4. are competent enough on a single instrument to declare that as a major on day-one & sign up for private tutoring as supliment
  5. are comfortable functioning as part of a band/orchestra 

Perhaps we'll get some others to chime in her, but this should give you some food-for-thought.

Tom 

BTW it's good that you're inquiring now, while there's still time to whatever fill skill gaps exist.

Thanks Tom! I guess what I said was little confusing. I shouldn't really of said I wanted to do all three, my mistake. I more so meant that I was what are some of the best schools for each of those three things and I would look into it.

4 hours ago, HoboSage said:

Ever hear of Google?  Berklee or NYU.  But, you don't need any degree other than from the School of Hard Knocks - preferably from it's L.A., California campus.

I've heard of Google. It still doesn't tell me from a current student/past student's perspective.

1 hour ago, Jenn said:

Most likely, you will change your major in college. Maybe once, maybe several times. Hell, you'll most likely transfer as well. I've never heard of Music Technology to be honest.. It seems very specific and you may have difficulty finding programs at colleges. Then if you don't like it and are stuck at a very specialized school, you'll have to tolerate it or transfer...

I can't tell you what to major in or how to expect your college experience to go, but I can tell you what I've seen and what I've learned.

If I could have done it again, I would have majored in something really broad... that I could later concentrate in with a masters or further education..

Right now, a Bachelor's doesn't really mean anything. And ultimately, it is up to who you know and what experience you have..

Like I said, I don't know too much about music technology, but maybe you could look into computer science programs or IT or something.. and then minor in music? 

You're so young right now... you have plenty of time to figure it out! Hell, I graduate next year and I still don't know what the hell I'm gonna do....

There was one college I was looking into that was pretty affordable. I was looking at the Audio Recording Technology Concentration (Basically Music Technology). My uncle went into the same field about 20 years ago and had trouble looking for a job. I might come across the same bump in the road. But, I just want to live out my dream.

Archived