Your Ad Could Be Here

Advice On Market Research For Music Tech Tuition And Soundtracking?

Good evening!

Hoping for some advice…

I’ve recently set up as self employed in the fields of 1) freelance digital music tech tuition and 2) composing for the media. The tuition comes in various forms: private 1-to-1, workshops in schools, community youth projects, and other variations on the theme. The soundtracking is to be music for films, TV, games etc etc. (this side of things will take longer to get moving, but I’ve got some great contacts when my demo discs are finally prepared).

The tuition thing is already generating work, but I’m in the process of applying for ‘getting started’ funding for Welsh graduates (I did an MSc in Music Tech). For this I have to submit a business plan, which I have been developing. I’ve been told that my plan’s current weakness is in the market reasearch department. They want facts, figures, graphs as much as possible. So far my research has been a bit more discursive and informal. Needs to look more official.

So! The reason I’m here is that I’m wondering if anyone can help with ideas on how to get facts, figures and graphs relating to things like:

- the rise of digital technology and it’s importance in modern music creation, its availability to everyone etc

- opportunities for music tech tuition/workshops etc

- increased interest in music tech among home hobbyists etc – magazine sales figures for mags like CM, SOS, FM etc?

- any other way of throwing vaguely meaningful pie-charts at these people to convince them I’m on to something and hopefully help loosen their purse strings.

Let me make it clear that I’m not wanting people to do my work for me – I’ve already put a lot of work into this, and written a good narrative for the business plan. It’s just that I’m not very statistically-minded, and a little bit green when it comes to market research, and I could do with a few prompts or ideas from people with more experience than I. I’m already doing a lot of research myself into the above questions, I’m not just asking others to do it for me – it’s just that these forums are great places to get sparks of inspiration which otherwise would not have occurred.

Any and all constructive suggestions gratefully received!

I'd just make up a few figures and charts and chuck it over to them! Or you could look here for some circulation figures for 'Future' magazines!

Why not pop into your local music emporium and spend a day there and ask a few questions of the clientelle? (If they will let you)

Good luck.