Your Ad Could Be Here

Recording Guitars...

were getting set to record a new EP.

the engineer recording us has mentioned something about punch recording guitar.

not sure if thats exactly what its called but basically, the idea is to record each chord seperately and then to mix it all together.

i'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this (i assume so).. i'm not sure how i feel about this method but if its an industry standard and the end result is amazing then i guess its the way to go. any input on this subject will mean a lot!

Also, another guitar related question tho it can be about any other insturment.

Would you recommend to record with the actual band i play live with or should i consider getting session players for this project?

my band is awesome live but in the studio everything changes.

Thanks for reading!

were getting set to record a new EP.

the engineer recording us has mentioned something about punch recording guitar.

not sure if thats exactly what its called but basically, the idea is to record each chord seperately and then to mix it all together.

i'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this (i assume so).. i'm not sure how i feel about this method but if its an industry standard and the end result is amazing then i guess its the way to go. any input on this subject will mean a lot!

It is typical to record takes until one is excellent, except for a short section or 2 which are "punched in" (recorded over) to improve. Takes are much less mechanical sounding and once fixed are.... perfect.

Also, another guitar related question tho it can be about any other insturment.

Would you recommend to record with the actual band i play live with or should i consider getting session players for this project?

my band is awesome live but in the studio everything changes.

Thanks for reading!

you're right, the studio is a totally different environment from live. Headphone balances are the biggest challenge IMHO. The engineer may want some people to alter the volume to improve the recording, some things might be isolated, etc. So every player will feel a little out of sync with what he is used to on stage.

As far as whether to hire a "ghost" band or not depends on how the project is labeled. Is it a single vocal artist or is it the band, e.g. Paul McCartney or The Beatles? If it's the latter, Ringo has to be there.