Your Ad Could Be Here

Windows XP

I'm buying a new computer. I have Windows XP Home Edition. Can I install it on my second computer? I mean, will it work when I request the XP updates, will it register correctly? Or it (XP) acknowledges license on one computer only?

Thanks!

hi mark

as far as im aware the disc that comes with a new comp is only a reinstalling disc for use with 1 comp only

having said that i have a brand new (approx 1.5 yr old now) dell comp with xp and have reformated my hard drive twice + ran the disc it never has asked me for a serial num (windows M.E  always did).

so i dont know how it enforces the rule since when u reformate every thing goes away..so it may be worth a try ..why not try it on a mates comp and see ..

let us know how u get on in case i get a new comp

cheers

nigel

I think you may have problems requesting updates. The licence is for a single machine only. Why not reinstall your old windows on your old computer?

Does that mean that Windows XP retreives the ID of the computer you're using? Was it about that when there was a privacy protection scandal a few years ago? And that Microsoft decided not retreive private information? I don't remember.

I don't want to go back to Windows 98.

If using the same WinXp on multiple machines doesn't work, it's an abberation. It's like I couldn't listen a CD I purchased on the CD player in my basement, but only in the one in my living room. Or I couldn't read a book I bought but in my home... and would have to buy another copy of the same exact one when I read it anywhere else.  :(

Hi Steve. This is what I know - The licence on a copy of XP is for use on one computer only. On previous versions this didn't stop you installing the OS on as many machines as desired. However on XP there is an OS activation system. The computer takes the serial no. and a system ID based on components within the computer. This is sent to Microsoft who then send back an activation code. Without this code the OS won't boot after several weeks. This system will prevent you from activation on more than one system.

However I'm sure there are several workarounds which could find with only minimal research on the net.