Your Ad Could Be Here

My Equipment Sucks! Lol Where Do I Even Begin?

This computer doesn't have any software on it except what I use for the recording and mixing. I put it together specifically for that purpose. The processor and memory are sufficient. computer repair and networking was my major in college, so i know a thing or two about computers. actually, quite a bit lol. It's most likely a memory issue. When I get the motivation I'll try putting some different memory sticks in it. Might even help to hook it up to the internet and update it. But anyway, I'll mess with it someday and see if I can figure out what's up.

I think you'll find a low latency sound card will make a huge difference...

I think you'll find a low latency sound card will make a huge difference...

I'll upgrade the soundcard sometime. Right now I'm broke. I spent all my money on a guitar lol and to be honest I think I got ripped off. I paid $350 for an Ibanez RG 4 EX 1. I found the same guitar online that was sold for $250 so I probably got ripped. And I noticed the a few of the strings buzz against the frets, especially the A string. Might just need some sort of adjustment though, but I don't have a clue how to do that stuff lol but it's cool looking grey with some kinda cloud or fire like pattern. [smiley=acoustic.gif]

I'll upgrade the soundcard sometime. Right now I'm broke. I spent all my money on a guitar lol and to be honest I think I got ripped off. I paid $350 for an Ibanez RG 4 EX 1. I found the same guitar online that was sold for $250 so I probably got ripped. And I noticed the a few of the strings buzz against the frets, especially the A string. Might just need some sort of adjustment though, but I don't have a clue how to do that stuff lol but it's cool looking grey with some kinda cloud or fire like pattern. [smiley=acoustic.gif]

Yeah, chances are it just needs a setup...

Yeah, chances are it just needs a setup...

Dang am I in over my head lol everything needs set up and adjusted. haha. I need to set up and adjust my guitar strings, adjust the tone, adjust my distortion pedal (sounds god awful right now) and my PA EQ, gain, effects, level (half the stuff on there I don't even understand) lol wow. It's a bit overwhelming. Adjust this, tone that, increase these, ad those :(

Dang am I in over my head lol everything needs set up and adjusted. haha. I need to set up and adjust my guitar strings, adjust the tone, adjust my distortion pedal (sounds god awful right now) and my PA EQ, gain, effects, level (half the stuff on there I don't even understand) lol wow. It's a bit overwhelming. Adjust this, tone that, increase these, ad those :(

Most guitar shops will do a setup for you pretty cheap. It's one of these things where if you don't know what you're doing, you're better not trying...

• 4 months later...

My advice on the recording front... Get an apple mac and a pro tools rig. Lots of options out there, so it can work to your budget, but honestly once you switch to apple you'll have no worries about recording.... just hit record and away you go! I'm a big fan of the M-Box range... perfect for home production. I use a 003 alot for getting ideas together, then you can take it into a larger studio running HD for track laying and mixing. Works perfect for me!

Microphone wise I invested in a Neumann 8 years ago... best investment I've made. Great for putting down guide vocals and general acoustic sound sources.

It all depends what you want to do with your recordings? But for me its really worked having an high quality basic set up for any home work... means that your time is spent creating music and not spent fixing problems or wondering why things dont sound how they should.

I run a Apple Macbook Pro and have an M-Box 2 and 003 (so can choose which set up depending on what im working with), then have a G4 for standard home recording and getting the ideas down. We then use studios that run HD rigs (and acoustically treated rooms... meaning great drum and vocal recordings) to track lay guitars, drums and vocals. It works really well... as you get the quality and cross compatibility of session files. (ie... we take in our pro tools file to the studio... and take away the pro tools file at the end of the day and edit back on the 003 (LE setup).

Other thing to consider... getting good monitor speakers. If you cannot push the budget for quality speakers at this stage, I'd start with good quality headphones... so you can hear whats going on.

Sorry for the ramble... maybe some of this helps? lol

AndyC

Edited by AndyC