Your Ad Could Be Here

In Need Of Help

Hi again,

I am in a band that has been together for a long time and we have started to record our own stuff. We have been told by the producer that we should decide who owns the songs and come up with a legally binding publishing agreement.

To try to work this out we had a band meeting. Basically the song writing process involves me receiving some lyrics from the other band members. I then will write a melody and the chords to go with it and fit the lyrics or change them by adding more and a chorus etc. I then record the song and take it to the band who then, under my direction, will play the track.

For the publishing deal I have stated that we should split the song between melody and lyrics and work out who made a contribution. The rest of the band say we should all take an equal share. And that is when the arguing started. The rest of the band have issued me with an ultimatum. Either I agree with them or basically I don’t. Lots of things have been quoted for instance friendship, any other agreement will spoil the fun etc.

I really do not know what to do. Some times I agree with them. Sometimes I feel resentful due to the fact that, most of the time, the rest of the band do very little. They sit there and wait for me to come with the next idea. If I don’t agree then I guess that’s it. The producer has said that he would still like to take the songs and record them but the question is who records them? If I leave do I take the melodies with me, write new lyrics and record them myself? I am sure they will resent me for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

I am in a band that has been together for a long time and we have started to record our own stuff. We have been told by the producer that we should decide who owns the songs and come up with a legally binding publishing agreement.

To try to work this out we had a band meeting. Basically the song writing process involves me receiving some lyrics from the other band members. I then will write a melody and the chords to go with it and fit the lyrics or change them by adding more and a chorus etc. I then record the song and take it to the band who then, under my direction, will play the track.

For the publishing deal I have stated that we should split the song between melody and lyrics and work out who made a contribution. The rest of the band say we should all take an equal share. And that is when the arguing started. The rest of the band have issued me with an ultimatum. Either I agree with them or basically I don’t. Lots of things have been quoted for instance friendship, any other agreement will spoil the fun etc.

I really do not know what to do. Some times I agree with them. Sometimes I feel resentful due to the fact that, most of the time, the rest of the band do very little. They sit there and wait for me to come with the next idea. If I don’t agree then I guess that’s it. The producer has said that he would still like to take the songs and record them but the question is who records them? If I leave do I take the melodies with me, write new lyrics and record them myself? I am sure they will resent me for that.

In other words, you are presented with some lyrics that you then have to turn into a song?

There is no question about the rest of the band taking an equal share under those conditions. If I were you, I'd have no compunction in telling them that I will jump to another ship with less passengers on it. It sounds like you need them a lot less than they need you.

Feel free to quote me next time you speak to them. Passengers don't get paid to ride on a ship and it certainly sounds like in demanding an equal share for unequal work these guys are extracting the urine.

Edited by Prometheus