Your Ad Could Be Here

How Do I Get Into The Craft Years After All My Piano Lessons?

satyesu

• Noob

There's some connection songs can instill that poetry just can't touch, and I want to write songs to create that. Problem is, as I said, my musical knowledge atm is a few years of piano. Starting from near square one, what can I do to get into songwriting? Is there a class or guided process?

• 1 month later...

There are, indeed, many online resources ... including "right here."

In this age of the digital computer, you are no longer limited by your manual dexterity nor lack thereof (i.e. "your piano lessons"). The computer can be, among many other things, "a word-processor for music." If you make a misteak mistake you can fix it. If you are imagining a phrase that is too difficult for you to play, you can still "play" it.

This has an interesting effect: although it's of-course "quite liberating," it also pushes you into contact with a level of musicianship that you had not previously been held to because "you didn't have 'the chops.'" You now have access to a machine that can execute your thoughts perfectly ... something that composers have not had since the player-piano roll. (And, in those days, a great many composers did "write for the player piano" precisely because they could create their original scores using a punch and adhesive tape.)

When you said, "there's some connection songs can instill that poetry just can't touch, and I want to write songs to create that," I can tell you that I felt (as I am sure, many others feel) a visceral connection with that thought. This is probably what drives every single one of us, whether we pursue songwriting as a profession or as a passion (or both). Listen to songs that elicit these feelings for you, and then lean closer to your iPod. Listen to the songs again. This time, study them. Try to put your finger on just what "makes them tick" for you.

• 1 year later...

When you practice/play, do you only play the sheet music in front of you?

Try sitting at the keyboard and just playing nonsense for a while. Don't worry about structure, form, technique. Go for the fun. Go for expression. Play.

After a while (a few days/weeks), approach this time with an idea. For instance, remember back when you and your sweetheart went your separate ways. Maybe start in Am to bring up some regret, and progress to Dm to flow a little melodically. (Or maybe something in D to show elation....)

Maybe after a few chord progressions, you're feeling the piece is just another example of diatonic monotony, but that's okay because the idea is beginning to firm up a little. Try playing with the melody to escape the box. (Maybe a rephrase of the lyrics could be helpful here.)

At some point, get it on tape like Mike says. Listen to it critically. Over and over. More ideas should sprout.

The above is my process. As a guitarist, my axe is always close by, as is a pad of paper and a pen. And if the tune just doesn't go anywhere, I let it go and start over. But just because I let it go doesn't mean it goes away. It'll show up when it's more appropriate.

• 3 weeks later...

Both replies so far have been very insightful. There are online classes you can take. I have watched quite a few Berklee School of Music Videos on YouTube - and of course that site is in itself a great resource.

Also I have found the people on this site to be very helpful and knowledgable, as well as there being sound advice and articles posted in the forums.

Just keep working at it. Don't aim too high too soon - unless you are a genius!

Just keep working at it. Don't aim too high too soon - unless you are a genius!

And even if you are "a genius," the creative process always consists of refinement, and experimentation, and practice. ("How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, man! Practice!") If you start without expectations that are not realistic, you're just gonna get frustrated for no good reason. Don't matter whether it's music or lyrics or the Next Great Novel or throwing a clay pot on a wheel. Creativity is all the same. You can talk about it all day, but there's no "just add water!" to it.

There is a strategy, though. Okay, so you can't fly over that building in a single bound... that's life. But you sure can walk around the thing, or take a taxi, and get there just the same -- or even get somewhere better, where you never quite expected to go. Yeah, sometimes you find yourself saying, "Wow!" about something you just did. It's a thrill when it happens.

Edited by MikeRobinson