Your Ad Could Be Here

How Much Does It Cost To Make A Hit Song?

($1 of each sale goes to mental health organization MindFreedom, and digital versions of the record were made available through Bandcamp for $4 Tuesday.)

I agree they would do wiser to put that money into a legal fund to pay for lawyers protecting their butts - and first get a secure financial basis before playing Bill Gates. :001_tongue:

I think it's gone beyond applying simple fixes at this stage. I would defy anyone to even explain to me what the remit of the music industry corporations is these days.

The whole thing needs to be rethought from basic principles and subject to the same scrutiny that other industries are.

The collection agencies are doing an absolutely diabolical job of getting people their royalties to the point where most promoters are getting away with totally ignoring them.

The A & R guys aren't even moving from behind their desks any more and their concentration span is limited to thirty seconds per solicited demo.

There are clear conflicts of interest in the MU, the collection agencies, the labels, the managers and the music lawyers because of blatent nepotism among industry executives to the point where most of the people in the upper echelons of said organisations are friends and relatives of each other.

Then the mainstream seem to be far more interested in "reality" television now than anything to do with music as a form of art.

If all this isn't preposterous enough, anytime someone does release something vaguely interesting and challenging, the media turn on them and portray them as unsavoury characters or accuse them of putting backwards messages in their songs. Who's fault is it when a school in the USA is blown to pieces by a nutcase? Not the NRA or any of those people. It must be Marilyn Manson sending out subliminal messages.

It's absurd. In my opinion, it's about time that we all said enough is enough and just refuse to pander to the mainstream inudstry and buy any of their products.

Not the NRA or any of those people. It must be Marilyn Manson sending out subliminal messages.

It's absurd. In my opinion, it's about time that we all said enough is enough and just refuse to pander to the mainstream inudstry and buy any of their products.

You forgot drugs and games. Those are the perceived culprits in this day and age, subliminal messages are so last week.

In a sense it's the new capitalism. What used to be simply consumer goods are now consumer-owned capital goods to produce things that can be 'shared' on the interwebz and picked up (stolen) for nothing, and no fear of legal retribution because they have more lawyers.

It's the same thing with photographs, music, and kewl ideas (facebook, anyone?)

Hence my idea to start with legal. IMHO it's the only way to beat them at their own game - have better lawyers, and if need be, offer higher bribes to the judges. (cynical, moi? :tongue_smilie: )

Hence my idea to start with legal. IMHO it's the only way to beat them at their own game - have better lawyers, and if need be, offer higher bribes to the judges. (cynical, moi? :tongue_smilie: )

It's a good idea, it's just getting the resources to do it. In my experience, it's very difficult to even convince the victims of market forces in the music industry that there's a problem. Every time I've tried, people get very angry and start making personal character assassinations against my "bitter left wing sour grapes". People on the whole seem very afraid to acknowledge the need to radically alter an incumbent system, even if it's screwing them.

• 2 weeks later...