Your Ad Could Be Here

Behringer Eurorack UB802 mixer

Hi All,

The Behringer Eurorack UB802 is a small mixer, in the family of all the compact mixers there are on the market today, initially inspired, it seems, by the Mackie 1202.

This mixer is very compact (18x22 cm, 7 2/5” x 8 2/3”). It has two mic inputs (with 48v phantom power), 2 stereo inputs, a stereo Aux return  and an additional Tape input.

All faders are rotary, with a centre 0 point.

The output are Fx Send (mono), Ctrl Room out and Main out and Tape Out (which is the same signal as Main out, but on RCA connectors).

I tested this mixer initially to supply Pantom power to my new microphones.

So my main tests were focused on the pre-amps, to check whether they were good enough and, hopefully, better than my current gear.

Since I had to compare without phantom power, my tests were done using a Shure PE86 (similar to SM58) and a Prefer electret UC1222, which is a relatively cheap electret. The PE86 has the typical curve of a vocal mike, while the Prefer tends to go very high, and being weak in the lows.

The gear with which I was comparing was a Tascam 8/4/2 M208 mixer, and the Mixer section of the Akai MG1214 recorder/mixer.

The sources I used were vocals, acoustic and electric guitar and an amplified PA playing a commercial CD.

My findings are that, first, the UB802 are clearly better than those of the Tascam. I had always thought that the Tascam’s were “warmer”. In fact, that’s because they are cutting some of the highs.

UB802 vs Akai was much more challenging. In fact, there was no winner, because I could honestly hear no difference between the preamps. So, either they are both quite good, or both equally bad. I was a little disappointed by this. I would have suspected that the Invisible Mic Preamps (as dubbed by the manufacturer) would be better.

But what is clearly different (in favour of the UB802), is the gain you can obtain from its preamps. I had to record spoken voice messages. I didn’t want to be too close to the mic (because of mouth sounds), but I didn’t want to force my voice, to make it sound natural.

On the Akai, I had to put the gain and fader to the maximum to reach a reasonable recording level, which is of course not a reasonable situation. With the UB802, I needed to be only at 3/4 gain (just below clipping), with the rotary fader at 0. The mic input provides +60dB.

With a condenser mic, the pre-amps allowed an impressive level of sensitivity, I could hear my breath at 3 meters from the mic.

As for the rest of the mixer, I would consider it as “honest”. I was not too fond of the EQ section. I find the Tascam’s much more musical. The Mains out can be hissy if you push them, even with no input signal.

Overall, as a pure mic preamp, this mixer might not be the ideal solution, because, without a direct send from the input (no inserts), you have to use the Mains out (or the Fx send if you operate with a single mic) to feed your main mixer/inputs.

A much better solution (I hope) will be the MIC100 valve pre-amp (from Behringer also) which hopefully I will be able to test in 2 weeks.

However, I took into account the versatility this mixer will had to my routing. Adding EQ to Aux returns, pre-mixing my synths for live performances are only a few applications I can think of. And, quite importantly, I was able to fit exactly the UB802 on a spare place at the top right of the Akai, which makes it a kind of extension to my main mixer, without taking valuable space.

The price proposed by my dealer was 95 euros. At this price, I think the UB802 is one of the cheapest possibility to have 2 decent mic inputs with phantom power. In addition, you have a mixer “for free”, with a good general usefulness.

I decided to buy this mixer, even in the case I decide to buy the MIC100 in the future.

Didier

Hi Didier!

This is a pretty good in-depth review. I already own one of these little mixers. I find to be  more than sufficient for my needs. I am thinking of buying another! I use this one as an input mixer with my guitar and mic . And I use my old 4 track tape recorder as an output mixer. This lets me down at this point. SO for a very reasonable price, I think I shall get another UB802..

Hi Didier!

This is a pretty good in-depth review.

Hi Steve,

I use this one as an input mixer with my guitar and mic . And I use my old 4 track tape recorder as an output mixer. This lets me down at this point.

Forgive my question, I don't know/understand your routing/needs. Why do you need a separate input and output mixer?

Didier

I have the guitar and mic into the UB802, I have a small keyboard plugged into the midi socket of my Soundblaster Audigy card, and I have the UB802 plugged into my Yamaha SW1000xg card. SO! I have the two soundcard outputs into the 4 track. If I plug it back into the UB802, I get a feedback loop which is most unpleasant!

I have the guitar and mic into the UB802, I have a small keyboard plugged into the midi socket of my Soundblaster Audigy card, and I have the UB802 plugged into my Yamaha SW1000xg card. SO! I have the two soundcard outputs into the 4 track.

Hi Steve,

I think I get it so far.

If I plug it back into the UB802, I get a feedback loop which is most unpleasant!

Feedback (unless it is guitar feeback on purpose) is most unpleasant indeed.

But what is the "it" you want to plug back. Is it the the audio card, or the 4 tracks?

Didier

Guitar/mic------>ub802------>Yamaha soundcard------>4 track

Keyboard--------------------->Soundblaster card------->4 track

I just want to replace the 4 track with another ub802. My 4 track is just being used as an output mixer, which is not very satisfactory.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Thought I would put my 2 cents in as well.  I don't own the ub802  but I do own its next brother up ub1202.  Its basically the same animal only with 4 xlr imputs rather than just 2.  I actually purchased this unit to help submix live recording situations to pull down 4 or so mics to one track into my 8 channel Layla.  I have used it in a few circumstances and have found it to be a lot cleaner than their previous model of the same makeup MX 802 (Without the invisible mic pre's)  You should be glad you didn't buy one of those...I did and phantom power was pretty crunchy!   That mixer only gets to see dynamic mics now...anyway.  I was pretty impressed with the cleanliness of the mic pre's....i just don't like the fact that this stupid mixer doesn't have a power button.  Only plugged in and not plugged in....that is the question. >:(

Drumtracks

i just don't like the fact that this stupid mixer doesn't have a power button.  Only plugged in and not plugged in....that is the question. >:(

That's something I forgot to mention, and I do agree on this one  >:(

As a result, it is plugged on the same "multi plug" as my recording setup (I have different "multi plugs" with a switch for different situations, mostly "live" and recording").

It is on100% of the time in recording setup, the same as the rest of my equipment anyway.

If it is built as a reasonable pro or "prosumer" gear, it should survive. That's Darwin law applied to gear  ;D

Didier

That's Darwin law applied to gear

;D  ;D  ;D I have to say I've had mine for about 12/13 months now, and it's permanently on. I've had no trouble whatsoever with it! Seems to be a pretty robust little monster...

• 2 weeks later...
Guitar/mic------>ub802------>Yamaha soundcard------>4 track

Keyboard--------------------->Soundblaster card------->4 track

I just want to replace the 4 track with another ub802. My 4 track is just being used as an output mixer, which is not very satisfactory.

You have two soundcards and two mixers! But you always use the same bass sound!!!  ;)

• 3 months later...