Your Ad Could Be Here

Rebirth Of The Cool

Rudi

Re:

ReBirth of the Cool

Sometime in the 70’s I decided that the word ‘cool’ had become a casualty of terminal abuse. As it had come to mean anything to anyone, it had also come to lose any mutually agreeable meaning.

Therefore ‘cool’ had pretty much become ‘uncool’ and was a dead word.

Until this year that is. I had seen the film ‘The Boat That Rocked’, and found Bill Nighy enjoyable for no discernible reason at all. It happened again when I saw him in ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. The only word that seemed to fit him was ‘cool’.

This needed thinking about. I came to these conclusions:

1/ A person cannot be aware of their ‘coolness’. If they do, their coolness instantly evaporates. For this reason, it is essential nobody tips off Bill Nighy.

2/ The essence of ‘coolness’ is elusive.

3/ And there’s probably a third reason too.

Bill has been in ‘Pirates of Caribbean Dead Man’s Chest’, ‘Shaun of the Dead’ and lots of other stuff.

Ok. If I’m wrong about all this, I am probably on the right track.

Views, anyone?