Your Ad Could Be Here

Email From U.s. Copyright Office

rgterry49

Hi all,

I spent about 2 weeks trying to find out what type of material or info was required by the US Copyright office, and finally after receiving a lot of good (though conflicting) answer, I found an email contact with the office and this is the answer I received. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:49 PM
To: Copyright Information
Subject: What is used to submit songs for copyright?

Dear Agent,

I want to copyright my songs but, I am getting conflicting advice on what I can or cannot submit.  Some say it has to be an audio recording. Some say it can be just a sheet music of the song. If just sheet music; which style (ie. Lead sheet, Lyrics and Chord, Lyrics and Melody note....etc.) Please clarify this for me.  I wish to submit using Electronic Copyright Office. I just need to know if I have to make a sound recording to be copyrighted.

Thank you and God Bless

Richard G. Terry

Dear Richard G. Terry,

You can either submit an audio recording of your work or you can submit sheet music.  There is not a specific style of sheet music necessary to submit.  Please keep in mind, the copy of the work that you submit to our Office is what will be covered by the registration and kept on record for your protection.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

ydc

U.S. Copyright Office

Attn: Public Information Office-LM401

101 Independence Avenue, S.E.

Washington, DC  20559-6000

Email: copyinfo@loc.gov

Phone: 877-476-0778 (toll free) or 202-707-5959         

Fax: 202-252-2041

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this will help other who may have be wondering themselves.

Best wishes and God Bless

Richard

Edited by rgterry49

Hi Tom,

If you read my post again you'll see that I said I got "good advice" (but conflicting). My pastor said he also copyrighted his stuff in the past and he said he just did sheet music. So..... I had to find out if this was 2 side of the same coin. There was so much legal jargon in the statute that I couldn't be sure. So, you and my minister where both right. It will be easier to do it with sheet music, cause good score programs can be obtained through open source ( free ).  But, on the hunch that you where right I bought Band in a Box to do sound recordings.

Thanks for your help Tom

God Bless

Richard