Your Ad Could Be Here

Collaboration

A while back there was a discussion on what it's like to write music in Collaboration.  John's response pretty much mirrors my own.  Everyone waits around for me to do all the actual writing then pats themselves on the back later.

I had this situation recently that really sticks in my crawl.  I was at this forum and someone had done the initial work for a 12 blues jam.  He laid down drums, bass and guitar all very sampled and very boring but I wanted to be part of the project so I went in and started actually writing a melody as opposed to just soloing.  And then I added a solo and some fills.   Someone else takes the work mixes it and then show cases it as being all their work.

I still want to jam.  So I take up the next round.  I write the guitar parts I add the drum parts complete with solo's and fills charting it all in notation and using a drummer vst.  I add a bass and guitar parts but I try to leave it as open as possible so that others can jam on it.  A couple of guys do just that. and then... They go around taking all the credit.  So I do a couple of other songs but I start initiating a CC share and share alike

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/deed.en_US

Crickets. 

I'm producing better material now then when I first started. It's actually better  presented for users then methods used prior to my joining the collabs.  But I'm getting no response for my material because I'm requesting they acknoledge my efforts if they wish to share it with the general public.  No one wants to touch my stuff.

I don't have aspirations of doing backing tracks for a living. simply because I don't see it as a money making venture. I still want to do the online jam thing but I'm not liking where this has lead.