Your Ad Could Be Here

still waiting for my damn new computer

TapperMike

My current desktop is running Vista.  I've had it for about 9 years and it's been a good run.  Vista is no longer being supported by MS and many vendors will no longer be offering updates for Vista Users.  This created a dilemma for me should I pay for the full version of Win10 (MS does not offer upgrades from Vista) or should I simply buy a new computer.  9 years is a long run for a computer. I've decided to step up to Windows 10 Pro.

This is what I'm getting,,,

Dell XPS 8700 Desktop PC Windows 10 Pro i7-4790 16gb 2tb DVDRW WiFi 

So yeah beefed up Dell or thinned down Alienware.  The only difference is the power supply and the video card.

I'm not a gamer, I'm sure the video card will work just fine for me.

I ordered the computer on the 26th of january. from a California company and paid the standard shipping rate of 65 dollars.  No tracking number USPS (us postal service) I'm used to tracking numbers for items of which I pay for shipping (even free they still offer tracking numbers.  The expected delivery date was set to Feb 4.  Feb 4 comes and goes.  Check my ebay account and it states that now the expected delivery is between Feb 4 and Feb14.   Today I get curious so I contact the seller.  He never shipped the damn thing.  Claimed personal emergency.  14 day personal emergency that he couldn't be bothered to contact me about.  I'm very disappointed.  The seller stated he added extra's (not mentioning what those extra's were) and has changed the shipping to FedEx.

Here's the thing... I have three days off this week.  If not waiting for the computer to arrive I would have treated myself to a mini vacation. Pack the car,,, drive somewhere for 8 or more hours. find a cheap hotel and drive back.  Well I couldn't because I was waiting on the computer to arrive.  And now I get to wait longer (no shipping details from fed ex) till it arrives.

Poor customer treatment.

I had a similar issue last week. I had ordered goods on condition they would arrive on Monday. The vendor accepted this and assured me the delivery day would be Monday.

UPS were the couriers. The package shipped to Southampton (near me) over the weekend. After that tracking just said 'out for delivery'. I stayed in all Monday and at 17.20 this tracking message changed to 'reschedule & deliver following day'.

I called the shop and they seemed angrier than I was. I had to work the following day. I suggested the package was returned to the shop & sent out again the following Monday. The shop agreed.

Next day I tried to contact UPS but didnt have all the (seller) information needed, so the shop had to take this over. So back & forth was all this e-traffic between me, the shop & UPS.

At 14.20 Tuesday I get an e-mail from UPS that 'Your package has been delivered'. Now, a signature is supposed to be required on receipt. No one is there. SO it has either been delivered to a similar address (there is one a couple of miles away) or left unattended at my door. I report this to the shop who are now kakking themselves because the value of the item is quite high. When I reach home, there it is in my porch.

UPS are at fault, but it seems today that all carriers are overstretched & cutting corners. I've had a couple of similar experiences last year, where it has only been a matter of luck that I got my deliveries at all.

An unscrupulous person, in my place, could easily have claimed that the package was missing; presumed stolen from the premises and claimed recompense. 

Mike. I hope you get your computer soon. I hope it works and that you finally get your Linnstrument fully functional.

Good Luck.

So sad Rudi.  Glad you finally got it.

Honestly I've never had a bad shipping issue with UPS, I'm not saying that because my stepsister works there.

FedEx on the other hand is another matter.I have seen them sling guitars onto the final step and infront of a door rather then carry them the distance and knock.

I too have spent my days waiting for a package to arrive (fedex again) that's scheduled to only to find out after they have returned to the warehouse the delivery was rescheduled.

A common practice amongst drug dealers is to ship via fedex to suburban households.  Knowing that the residents won't be home when the package arrives and that fedex will drop and run.

With Amazon a new trend is emerging.  The use of Uber to deliver packages.  All one needs to be an uber driver is a driver's license and 20 minutes to watch a youtube video.

1 hour ago, TapperMike said:

With Amazon a new trend is emerging.  The use of Uber to deliver packages.  All one needs to be an uber driver is a driver's license and 20 minutes to watch a youtube video.

I have had last minute messages from Amazon saying 'you package will be delivered today' during Sunday evening (when no one works!?), and then some fellow without a uniform knocks the door with my package. Is this Uber? 

Be sure to let us know when that computer arrives Mike.

So it arrived Tuesday afternoon just before I headed out to work.  FedEx.  Guy literally throws it to the top of the steps, knocks and runs.  No signing anything.  Pathetic.  UPS and USPS (US Postal Service) Are always professional and respectful with the goods they deliver and the people they deliver them to.

No extras as promised by the seller for the discomfort of him forgetting to send the item.  That being said.  It's awesome.  The refurb was outstanding.  Not a scratch,  DVI-D and DVI-I ports, 4 hdmi ports, 4 USB 3.0 ports 8 USB 2.0 ports  Fastest newest i7 on the market. I can't be more pleased for the price to value ratio.  While I've only done a few software installations on it so far.  I'm extremely impressed with it's performance.     

• Like 1

Indeed it is.

Rather then mucking about in my old computer I've decided to download fresh versions of my software off the web.

For my work alone I have over 200 products to install.  20 programs and the rest add ons  we offer to the products.  Work comes first.