Your Ad Could Be Here

What are you getting yourself for Christmas?

Guest Rob Ash

My big present this year was a used guitar. I bought myself a used 2007 Jackson Soloist in a configuration without a Floyd Rose system on it. Straight through body stringing across the bridge and back to plain old locking tuners on the other end. After that, it's a true Soloist in every way. Neck through construction, Alder body with a maple neck and an ebony fret board. It has active EMG pickups. Two humbuckers in the neck and bridge positions. When you plug in that little 9 volt, it's almost too much gain! Set it to just the bridge pick up, open her up all the way and then back of about 12-15% and it has that classic, mean, deep heavy metal tone form the best of 80's and early 90's metal from bands like Metallica and Megadeth.

Used, in good condition, this guitar is available at music stores and on Ebay at around $400-450. I've seen them as high as $549. I got mine with a hardshell case included for $220 dollars plus $35 for shipping. The guy shipped it out UPS and I got it in 3 days.

I got really lucky. The guitar is flawless. He said it has a few play related scratches, but you need a magnifying glass to find them. The pots are smooth and silent. The action is perfect from the nut to 24th fret. I have never been one to dive bomb the strings a lot anyway, so a Floyd Rose is mostly lost on me. Having everything that a Soloist offers without the headache of a floating tremolo is a real treat.

Anyways, not a lot of money, but I still ended up getting exactly, precisely what I wanted for Christmas.

And that doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Rob Ash

Guest Rob Ash
7 hours ago, HoboSage said:

This year for x-mas, I'll get for myself what I always end up getting - "another day older and deeper in debt."  And, that's all I'll likely get from anyone, for Santa knows to not even bother bringing me a lump of coal.  He knows I already have 16 tons.

Hang in there, David.

As my dear old gray haired granny once said of her chronic constipation, just before inhaling an entire bottle of Pepto Bismol... she said; "FEAR NOT!..."

"This, too, shall pass."