Your Ad Could Be Here

breathing life into a composition

Rudi

I have a bunch of songs that are on paper or part recorded. Once in a blue moon they might be performed. Often when I record or perform them, they sound dull.

A way to breath life into them is to rearrange them. Most of the time (about 98%) the time is what has to be re-imagined. In the details, it phrasing. In the large, its rhythm, or maybe even the time signature (rare).

Pushing or pulling at the time often breathes new life into the song/tune. Its probably because I concentrate on melody & harmony mostly and the time least. I did this recently with a simple song that has been through more rearranging than it should. Most of my music is in a state of flux anyway, but that one changes every time I touch it.

I'd recommend it to anyone who is frustrated with a tune that doesn't quite deliver.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Tambarskjelve said:

You should check this Version of Dolly Parton, Jolene, played at 33rpm instead of 45, it turns out a New song.

Weird. Unsettling.

I know what you mean. I just recently changed the genre of one of my favorite writes that I never really felt the music was right. I actually made it a reggae tune which I have never written before and it was a perfect fit!

16 hours ago, Tambarskjelve said:

You should check this Version of Dolly Parton, Jolene, played at 33rpm instead of 45, it turns out a New song.

Oh man! I love it! That opens up my creative juices. Thanks for posting.

5 hours ago, TPistilli said:

I know what you mean. I just recently changed the genre of one of my favorite writes that I never really felt the music was right. I actually made it a reggae tune which I have never written before and it was a perfect fit!

Great feeling when it comes good like that.