Your Ad Could Be Here

Prince Sign o the times cover

StevieM

On 15/4/2018 at 12:44 AM, StevieM said:

Any Prince fans in the house? How does this sound in terms of 1.) mix quality and 2.) performance quality. Thanks!

Sounds good. At least to me. I can't judge the mix because I'm never sure of any mix and I'm not an expert. But the arrangement is solid and your voice and interpretation are really good. Listened to it at least 3 times. I love the guitar part (great touch). A few years ago I tried to make a metal cover of this song (one of my favorite by Prince) but unfortunately it was not that good and I gave up. :)

Have a nice day

Roberto

10 hours ago, robertolabruna said:

Sounds good. At least to me. I can't judge the mix because I'm never sure of any mix and I'm not an expert. But the arrangement is solid and your voice and interpretation are really good. Listened to it at least 3 times. I love the guitar part (great touch). A few years ago I tried to make a metal cover of this song (one of my favorite by Prince) but unfortunately it was not that good and I gave up. :)

Have a nice day

Roberto

Good to hear it meets your standard (especially as someone already familiar with the track). Truly great Prince track. You tried a metal cover? Haha that is indeed a tough task. Heavier covers of Sign are so tough because the entire appeal of the track is it's stark, detached minimalism.

Thoughts from anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...

Liking it apart from the bass sound, which made me think of cliched 80s synth bass - bank one on a DX7 sort of thing. But maybe that was the idea. :) And I'm speaking as somebody who gave thanks for Prince because most of the 80s passed me by. I think it was the decade when the sound of your producer's snare sample became more important than your song. The simplicity of this song and its apparent thrown-down sparse production was nothing short of revolutionary at the time. So a big song to take on and in the face of that, I think you've done very well.

Edited by Glammerocity

• 2 months later...