Your Ad Could Be Here

Your favo(u)rite guitar chords

What are your favourite chords on the guitar? By this I mean what chords do you use a lot, possibly too much, in your music? Yes, I know it's a stupid question and it depends, but it's Tuesday for goodness sake.

It would be good if you could draw a diagram too so I might learn some new ones.

Mine is Amaj7

----------

| | |x | |

-----------

| |x | x x

-----------

What are your favourite chords on the guitar? By this I mean what chords do you use a lot, possibly too much, in your music? Yes, I know it's a stupid question and it depends, but it's Tuesday for goodness sake.

It would be good if you could draw a diagram too so I might learn some new ones.

Mine is Amaj7

----------

| | |x | |

-----------

| |x | x x

-----------

I think that's an Amaj13? Amaj7 would be without the F#

this is mine. Dunno what it is. D with an f sharp

----------

| | | | | |

-----------

x | | x | |

-----------

| | | | x |

-----------

That's what it is. This is a great chord. I use it a lot when I play in A. If you slide it up 2 you can get this,

----------

| | | | | |

----------

| | * | | |

----------

| | | | | |

-----------

x | | x | |

-----------

| | | | x |

-----------

Which is E Ab bass. You can play the open top E as well which adds to the interest! Great for power chords.

I think that's an Amaj13? Amaj7 would be without the F#

We had this debate a while ago. I'm pretty certain that we established it as Amaj7. Amaj13 sounds better though.

Mine would have to be Gmaj7

----------

| | | | | |

----------

| | | | | |

----------

G| | | * |

----------

| | ** | |

----------

Er... what's the fingering?

Maj7 chords are for love songs!!! :D

anyway, what I use a lot are minor7 chords, and as I do with most chords I use a lot of inversions.

let's say that Fminor7 is made of: F (root), Ab (minor third), C (fifth), and Eb (minor seventh), so you can play them right away using F as the bass note, but you also can use Ab, C or Eb on the bass note.

this is an F minor7 chord played in 2nd inversion, with the fifth on the bass, which I use a lot, the F on the 1st string can be played using finger 1 as a barre, and creates a nice tension between the root (F) and the minor seventh (Eb).

x_ _ _ _x

| | | 1 | (1)

| | | | | |

| 2 3 | | |

| | | | 4 |

for Maj7 I use this a lot:

(don't play the 6th and 1st strings)

x_ _ _ _x

| | | | 1 |

| | 2 | | |

| 3 | | | |

| | | 4 | |

root is on the 5th string, and as I'm not using open strings I can play it anywhere on the neck.

This is a nice E Maj 7/9 chord that I don't use that much, but it sounds really good:

0__ ___0

| | | 1 | |

| 2 | | | |

| | | | | |

| | 3 | 4 |

[smiley=acoustic.gif]

Edited by hariossa

Im having trouble with these diagrams. If I understand Als 1st chord shape correctly (probably not), it is comprised of E A E G# C# F# (A maj 7 + 6)

I dont think I have favourite chords, but I use 9-7 (ninth minus seventh) chords both major & minor sometimes.

Emin 9-7

If you havnt guessed. This is a '2nd', ie: in the scale(s) of E, its an F#.

The F# being the only upper partial.

Played open it is Em (2 finger version) but with F# played instead of E (D string 4th fret)

Its nice to end a minor song with. This is an attempt at a diagram>

ebf#gbe

|| | |||

|* | |||

| | |||

| * |||