Your Ad Could Be Here

[Q&A] How does your vocal technique relate to the songs/genres you sing?

To add more clarity to the question asked in title,

We all learn those vocal techniques that aid us in our musical goals (safe to say that it is at least and obviously prioritized). Whether it's neo-soul, rock, death metal, hip hop or classical music, they all require their own unique set of vocal abilities for the right delivery. What kinds of techniques have you found to be useful to you in your journey? Or are you one of those who thinks otherwise?

Let us know! :)

• 2 months later...

We're so glad you said that. lol

We've been working on a lot of content to help with singers and their technique. Believe me, there's a lot of wingin' that goes by in the vocalists community that may prove to be more harmful than good. And it's imperative that this is being addressed in a straight forward and logical way.  More on this super soon! ;)

Having said that, the reason the question was framed the way it was is because the voice is such a versatile and beautiful instrument that's able to produce not only a range of frequencies but also a wide range of colors  or tonalities. Every genre has its own unique demands in its musical context and tradition; as singers, we generally do not explore that idea as much. 

It would be so much more empowering if this perspective to singing is made aware of right from the very beginning of a singer's journey. 

On 12/6/2019 at 5:30 AM, SVCA said:

We're so glad you said that. lol

Believe me, there's a lot of wingin' that goes by in the vocalists community that may prove to be more harmful than good. And it's imperative that this is being addressed in a straight forward and logical way.  More on this super soon! ;)

Yes.  Those are concerns for me as I find the older I get, my vocals are changing.  Not sure if it's due to age, health issues or just improper use of my vocals.  I struggle with dry throat and find sound doesn't come out at the volume I'm accustomed to.  I also used to do a lot of descant in years past, which I am not feeling capable of now.  I feel as though my range has dropped to the basement.  My chest voice is much easier for me to access than my head voice.  Occasionally, my head voice is easier (probably according to what I've been singing along with) and it makes it hard to access my chest voice.  Then there is the in between/transitional range, which when I am able to use both head and chest, seems to be my sticking place.

Archived