Your Ad Could Be Here

temperament

My attention was drawn to the subject of 'temperament' on the fiddle-forum. I never heard of this before. It is a way of making small adjustments in intonation (fractions or 100ths of a semitone) in order to play in different keys accurately.

I think it sounds absolutely bizarre. The fiddlers say for example, that all pianos sound out of tune to them because the tuning is approximated to accomodate all keys.

Who knows about this weird stuff?

My attention was drawn to the subject of 'temperament' on the fiddle-forum. I never heard of this before. It is a way of making small adjustments in intonation (fractions or 100ths of a semitone) in order to play in different keys accurately.

I think it sounds absolutely bizarre. The fiddlers say for example, that all pianos sound out of tune to them because the tuning is approximated to accomodate all keys.

It's true. Not me, I'm tone deaf :)

But people with an hear do hear it.

Who knows about this weird stuff?

Musicians? :P

(or is it Mathematicians?)

The Well Tempered Scale

The fact that I studied (very lightly) with "Well-Tempered Klavier" helps knowing about it.

Didier

Ive been boning up on it from links these fellers have provided. I will report on it later if anyones interested. I have saved your link Didier, thanks.

Ive been boning up on it from links these fellers have provided. I will report on it later if anyones interested. I have saved your link Didier, thanks.

Yes, this is a well known problem with pianos and stringed instruments. I'm surprised that you've not come across this before Rude? I've often wondered about the tuning of electronic keyboards? Do they sound out of tune to a piano...? My personal theory is, all stringed instrument players are tone deaf and obviously playing the wrong notes! ^_^

• 1 month later...

The orchestra tuning up beginning with the oboe is a scared rite unto itself. Anyone who dared interfere would find the floor collapsed out from under them and a great drop to an hellish chamber where bad rock players must learn to play their instruments with german bows. The strings they're forced to wind on their axes are from pianos.

The Lunatic Dreyfuss leads the lessons with his knight's glove armor (with the sharp metalic fingers). He scratches out perpetual lessons and commentary on the chalkboard.

Edited by Donna