Your Ad Could Be Here

Goose

• Noob

Goooooseee

A New Fan

Music has meant nearly everything to me. I fiend it like drugs and I nerd out on it day in and day out. Nothing fires me up more than hearing a brand-new sound. Last Saturday night one of the magical moments happened to occur. Jam Bands and the “Jam” scene certainly comes with many connotations. Many music fans who are particularly interested in tight knit, heavily produced compositions, feel as if its all jam. In some cases that is more than true but in many cases it’s the furthest from. Goose is one of these said “Jam Bands” but its more than evident what has given Goose some staying power. What has jettisoned Goose into the spotlight is their virtuoso musical abilities combined with a more than clear knowledge and understanding of their influences. Gene Simmons once said the music not derived from somewhere has no soul. Goose’s music lives and breathes soulfulness. From arpeggiated synths echoing sentiments of Baba O Riley (Dripfield Intro) or channeling the Beatles psychedelia with trippy tape loops (really a lot of delays and reverse delays), Goose has a thorough understanding of how to pick bits and pieces of influence and channel that into their own unique musical compositions. Without a good song, jamming can feel a bit directionless and unmotivated. Goose hits you over the head with an ultimate combination of catchy lyrics, virtuosity, and melodic sound that can only make you smile. Rick, lead singer and guitarist is the engine of this band in my opinion. His incendiary guitar playing, interweaving rhythm and lead, is a majestic feat to witness. There were moments during the show ( I was on mushrooms) where it felt as if you were riding Rick’s leads like a surfer riding a wave. Get up, Hop on and hold on f*cking tight because its going to be one hell of a ride. Hand in hand with Rick is Peter, the band’s Keyboardist/Guitarist. Peter is the Swiss army knife of this band. A brilliant musician who seemingly has 8 arms. One hand playing funky Clav leads, the other playing bass notes on any variation of key driven instruments, guitar on his back at the ready.  The interplay between Rick, Peter, and Trevor (Ben just left) is at a telepathic level. When Goose is humming on all cylinders, its Beelzebub getting his tooth back in the Pick of Destiny, its whatever magical lore you can think of where the pieces come together and start glowing and shit. Its f*cking glorious.