Your Ad Could Be Here

New Article - Writing Titles For Your Songs

Writing Titles For Your Songs

Choice of a song title is more important than you may think. This article, by Songstuff author Anthony Ceseri. covers key factors in selecting a title and the impact that can have on the success of your song.

Click on the link below to read the article right now...

Writing Titles For Your Songs

writing_a_song_title.jpg

Please leave a comment

Author

ceseri_headshot.jpg

Anthony Ceseri

Comments

Please leave Anthony some comments and feedback on this article, and / or suggestions for new articles, or simply showing Anthony some love for contributing this article to the Songstuff Music Community by replying to this topic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You don't have to write a title, but there are benefits to be had by being as involved in that as any other part of the song. Much depends on your reason for writing.... if it is simply self-expression then no doubt choosing the title might not be important, however if there is any commercial edge to your music, such as a professional songwriter or you plan to release a CD, then understanding the benefits of titles and what works can only be to your benefit as the writer.

And, this is a critique point which is almost always overlooked. Have to agree with everything said in this article. For me, this is another aspect of the difference between poetry and lyric.

I always struggle with titles as most of my music is intrumental. SortOfLikeClaptonsOceanBlvdw/TomPettyInfluence is no name for a song.

I've rarely had trouble with a title. Being a lyricist only I often find that I have a title first and simply must write that lyric (or it'll drive me crazy). As an example, a recent one I finished, "Exit Wounds". I've had that title and idea for several months. Knew I wanted to invoke what it means at a crime scene and twist it to be the final breakup of a relationship. And for the longest time could not get the story to come together. Eventally it did, but it was the title that drove me.