Your Ad Could Be Here

• Noob

So I started learning about the theory about modes in guitar and I started learning the shapes to play. (is that how you say it in guitar talk?) Anyway, I just wondered, should I start learning from the proper order of the modes? (Ionian then Dorian then Phrygian and so on...) or can I just learn them in any order?

• Noob

hmm.. yeah i guess you're right. Although I still really find it enjoying to learn the scales I'm learning now. I just don't know what changed. I just suddenly keep wanting to learn more and more and play more and more. These past few weeks just felt incomplete if I didn't pick up my guitar and start doing all the scales I studied. It's as though I suddenly got addicted to it. It's really fun (for me) learning these new shapes to play in my guitar but I think you are right that I should just keep playing songs that I love. Thanks.

Hi Gians,

You could learn the major scale and extract most everything else you need from within that; minor scales, dorian mode, mixolydian mode etc. without having to learn new finger positions.

I created a series of 3 tutorials on how to do this several years ago. Tutorials #1 and #2 were published here on songstuff.

If you're interested, the first of them is here :

http://guitar.songstuff.com/article/guitar_tutorial_scales/

Rudi

• Like 1

• Noob

Just an update! These are so cool! I was just able to make my own improvised solo while listening to some of my favorite songs. It's not really an awesome kind of steve vai type solo but I guess it's something. Thanks so much for your inputs guys! It just hyped me up even more to learn!! :guitar:

• 2 weeks later...

i would suggest downloading a pedal note or pedal rhythm track and playing a solo using more than one mode, go for what sounds right, and try and incorporate the different feeling without sounding odd... practice makes perfect as they say. :)