Your Ad Could Be Here

Do You Write Lyrics On Paper Or On A Computer?

Lyrics  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you write your lyrics?

• Paper
    • Computer
    • Paper first, then computer
    • Other
    • I don't write lyrics down

About 97% of my stuff I write on my smartphone. Though sometimes I get the urge to write on paper.

• 1 month later...

paper while playing, then to computer so I can read it. I tried my Droid for a time, I could 'speak' what i wanted write, then they discontinued that function. looking for a similar free app for that now. (But will still use paper first.

• 4 weeks later...

(other) whatevers available.

paper scribbles, sometimes on PC, then printed and scribbled on.

I think the scribble is the most important part.

I always keep a note-pad and a pen in my pocket, because I've learned that "inspiration has no memory."  However, I immediately transcribe those snippets of text to a word-processor document.  And, I transcribe those snippets of musical-score to MuseScore files.

Every "moment of inspiration" is pure and therefore precious.  I want to be sure that every "inspiration" gets captured.  ("Grab it, admire it, stick a pin through it, and shove it onto the board.")

However, once that moment has "been captured," it is then that the real work begins.  The digital computer is my indispensible tool at that point:  TextEdit, MuseScore, Logic-Pro-X.

That is so true, inspiration has no memory. I just bought one of the mini voice recorders and it helps me remember the lyric and the melody. The melody is the hardest for me to remember so the recorder works great for me. Fits right in a shirt pocket...

• 2 months later...
  • Noob

I write on the computer - so i can actually read it the next day.  I used to use MS Word, but now I use MS Onenote which is basically a digital notebook.

• 2 years later...

I do have a few notepads full of songs I've written in the past, but for the time being I just play and play and play until I've committed it to memory. I don't do it this way for any reason in particular, that's just the way my playing style evolved over the years.

Yeah, I buy those yellow legal pads, so I don't bump my hand into the binding of a spiral ring notebook. But I also grab whatever's handy.  I have scraps of songs, revised and re-revised lyrics with scribbles and scratches until I can't stand it anymore, then I write it neater on the legal pad.  I like the portability and availability of the paper.  I don't have a laptop and what a bugger to write lyrics on an ipod, so eventually, its entered on the computer (usually hogged by my husband).  I usually print themost current version out and keep it in a three ring binder.  I also start out on the computer typing songs if I've got a good chunk of time I know it will be mine, so I use both.  I record my melody ideas on a handheld recorder and lately a little on my ipod--just melody ideas on my ipod though, not things I post.

I keep some discard ideas/lyric lines in a folder, thinking I might use certain lines in other songs, but rare that I revisit them.

I marked "Other" because.................

I sometimes use computer

Sometimes paper

Sometimes handheld recorder depending where I am at the time.

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed lyrics often came easier to me when I was having a coffee alone in a bar. So I use anything I can write on, notepads, my phone, paper napkins, anything really. Then in the final stage it goes on the computer for better readibility.

Archived