• Announcements

• Songstuff

New Chat App   06/02/2017

We have a new chat app available. You will need to sign up for it. You can pick up the invite link at the top of your member hub page:   http://forums.songstuff.com/member/hub/   Remember to use your Songstuff registered email and user name when you sign up! Using the invite link will automatically add you to the Songstuff chat channel.
Jim of Seattle

The one song

10 posts in this topic

If you could force everyone on this forum to listen to exactly one song, what would that song be, and why? (And it can't be one of your own songs :-))

(I am not giving an answer myself because then it would seem like I started the whole thread just to get people to listen to the song I picked.)

1 person likes this

Mother - Florence + the Machine.. if i had to define enlightenment, it would be with that song. 

It's very difficult to choose one definitive song. Different situations make us approach the same thing differently. But a song that does pop up instinctively in my mind is U2's "One". It just feels good on many levels. 

Shoot....that would vary from day to day....but for today, and the mood I'm in.....I would say "Soldiers of America" by Madison Rising.   'nuff said.

I would never force anyone to listen to any song

1 person likes this

This seems a very difficult answer as each ones musical taste is different so we are never gonna come to a final choice. Im a country music fan but the song that really moves me is by Dire Straits "Walk of Life" I dont know how many will agree. 

one song , that everyone has to listen to, so i'd say uptown funk because of how it starts happy, gets happier, and ends even happier 

Forcing someone to listen to music?  How Clockwork Orange.  Gotta go with Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 then.

Something

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Extremely difficult question, but off the top of my head I'd have to go with "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" by Billy Joel.

As for the "whys"...

• the strength of the melody
  • the complexity & variety of the song structure
  • serves as a fine example of how to incorporate mood changes & movements into a popular music piece
  • excellent, diverse arrangement
  • great example of a nostalgic, story-themed lyric
  • great use of lyrical imagery, artistic & contemporary at the same time
  • and finally, because I've always believed Billy Joel to be one hell of a songwriter/performer. In my humble opinion, anyone out there who's not acquainted with his work, should be! ;) That song would serve as a good starting point.

Tom

Edited by tunesmithth
If anyone's interested in checking it out, I've added a You Tube link.
1 person likes this