Your Ad Could Be Here

8 minutes ago, Mahesh said:

Jenn, 

They say that an artist is an explorer. You don't have to have your heart broken to relate to a heart break song while performing. Like the theatre actor switching to a completely different person in a second and wearing their shoes, you can dive in too. Explore what the heart break for this character could mean, what would you have done if you were in her shoes? Wear her shoes and explore her world. Relating to a song is relative. Relative to what you consider the song as. If you do consider it as a reflection of you and you can't see the song in any other way, then you will let this mind block arise. If you see a song as an entity whose world you're looking to explore, man those emotions come right out. 

Of course, all of this is easier said than done. But it is definitely an approach you should consider when you come across such a block. Approach the song from a different point of view. Tell yourself why you want to mean the songs despite the fact that you don't personally relate to it. Maybe it's because you feel sympathy for the character in the song. Or you've gone in to fantasy land where you ARE the character. Whatever works for you. But it's definitely a useful practice to build expression and versatility to your musical self!

There goes coach Mahesh.. master of play acting :D. Sorry @MonoStone, I still find him to have a very valid point..

• Editors

@Sreyashi Mukherjee, master of play acting? nono. I barely manage being myself. ;) 

54 minutes ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Oh okay... I googled lone soldier and got some results. If this ain't it, then I give up.

That's it - that would be a good idea for a song....

Sometimes, I've got a lyric.  Sometimes, I've got a tune.  Rarely do I have both at the same time.  But, capture every single thing.

Later, you might see that a bit of this tune, coupled with a bit of that one, can mesh perfectly with a bit of this lyric, and a bit of that one.

What almost never happens, if at all, is "Venus popping out of a clam-shell, fully formed (and, totally starkers!)" on some beach somewhere.  Inspiration might provide you with raw material but you make what comes out of it, through a series of decisions.

Don't throw anything away.  Draw a line through it and stuff it into a "wastebasket box" that you never actually empty.  Go through its content from time to time.  You might find in it the answer to your latest musical conundrum.

16 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

That's it - that would be a good idea for a song....

Actually.. now that you've pointed it out, I do have a vague theme coming to me. If it does come to fruition, I'll give you the title/para/phrase credit :)

18 hours ago, Mahesh said:

@Sreyashi Mukherjee, master of play acting? nono. I barely manage being myself. ;) 

Mahesh, here's another interesting observation about life - we find it easier to play act rather than being ourselves...  

2 hours ago, Sreyashi Mukherjee said:

Mahesh, here's another interesting observation about life - we find it easier to play act rather than being ourselves...  

Another thing to ponder... when you look in the mirror, is that the real you looking back.. are you the reflecte image of the person in the mirror.

On 28/06/2017 at 7:56 PM, MonoStone said:

P.s. I hate the coaching on talent shows! 

If you're singing musical theatre stuff ...show tunes etc...maybe it's useful... But for pop/rock/soul, since you already sing great I think it's about having a unique voice... And coach will likely take away more than they add in that respect. 

I know most won't agree...but I'm right...ner ner ner to them! ;)

In actuality, a good voice coach will work on bringing out the best of your voice whatever the music genre. Unfortunately there are some that are not very good which are the ones I believe that you are referring to.  Perhaps you have never come across a good voice coach which would explain your view of believing you are right.

3 hours ago, Richard Tracey said:

Another thing to ponder... when you look in the mirror, is that the real you looking back.. are you the reflecte image of the person in the mirror.

Here's what I think. A mirror never lies (even the magical one in the Snow White story didn't). It only shows what we choose to project - the truth or twisted version. 

There is something in every one of you that waits and listens
for the sound of the genuine in yourself.
It is the only true guide you will ever have.
And if you cannot hear it, you will all of your life
spend your days on the ends of strings that somebody else pulls...
- Howard Thurman -

Archived