Jump to content

Your Ad Could Be Here

  • entries
    6
  • comments
    2
  • views
    7,300

Raise Your Brush To The Future!


953 views

I thought I would make a post about my journey as a singer-songwriter. I don't recall the exact moment I knew I wanted to pursue music for a living but I guarantee it happened when I was still a child.

I used to put on a CD and lip-sych in front of my mirror with my hair brush...aka microphone... for hours. Nothing made me happier than to lock myself in my room for hours on end practicing my singing or putting on a "performance" for my stuffed animals. It is the same love I feel now.

I wrote my first song when I was 7 years old. "Give Me One More Chance" which was probably the cheesiest pop song you could even fathom today, but to me back then it was gold. But with lyrics like...

"we both got back together in such beautiful weather, how happy it made us both feel"... couldn't really use that today could I? haha but don't judge me too bad, remember I was only 7.

That was my first song, which was followed my many more, all POP and all rhymed although for a young pre-teen I did come up with some great work too, some songs I still use today.

For the most part, my songs then were about love, although I had absolutely no idea what that was like at that age, I must have gotten my concept of it through movies/tv. As I grew older the content changed.

When I hit middle school, I still wrote about love but having actually experienced heartbreak my lyrics became more realistic. In high school however, my songwriting skyrocketed as I began to write from true experience of bad relationships, issues with friends, and of course unrequited love, amongst other things. This continued throughout my college years, but the quality of my lyrics matured in content as did my songwriting ability.

While 90% of my songwriting inspiration is derived from my personal experiences, the other 10% was inspired through ideas/feelings I had about life in general.

After college I looked back on this notebook of songs that summarized my entire life and decided it was time that I actually put them out for people to hear. So I created a youtube channel where I would post songs I had written, some a cappella, others with piano accompaniment that I had arranged myself.

The channel gave me a great sense of self-worth because up til then I felt that I wasn't pursuing my dream because I was just accumulating song after song yet never doing anything with it once I finished writing the last word. Now that I am busy with non music career-related work, it brings me happiness/peace to see the progress I have made from that girl standing in front of that mirror 17 years ago to being that girl that has recently performed one of her original songs for an audience.

My life would feel worthless and empty if I didn't continue to dream that someday I'll be able to do what I love. As the saying goes, when you love what you do you never work a day in your life, and I'm so looking forward to that!

0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By continuing to use our site you indicate acceptance of our Terms Of Service: Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy: Privacy Policy, our Community Guidelines: Guidelines and our use of Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.