Your Ad Could Be Here

Publishing Contracts-royalties ?

Giddy1

• Noob

Hi ,

I've just been offered a publishing deal with an small "indie" publisher in the UK for one song. Wondered if anyone with experience of being signed to small publishers could offer some advice. They are offering me 50% of royalties on the mechanicals,sync fees and covers, but the Musicians union website says that the going rate for new writers is 70%

Just wondered if 70% is obtainable and in peoples experience is 50% more realistic and usual?

Cheers G

I'm sorry to say I don't know much about this! But I guess it comes down to this, is it better to 50% than nothing at all? If you have no alternative, then it might be worth going for it, just for the experience! On the other hand, have you tried touting your work to other publishers? If they know you already have some interest, they too might be interested! You can then go to the highest bidder! Have a look here. You might find something useful! Good luck in whatever you decide!

Hi ,

I've just been offered a publishing deal with an small "indie" publisher in the UK for one song. Wondered if anyone with experience of being signed to small publishers could offer some advice. They are offering me 50% of royalties on the mechanicals,sync fees and covers, but the Musicians union website says that the going rate for new writers is 70%

Just wondered if 70% is obtainable and in peoples experience is 50% more realistic and usual?

Cheers G

depends how good your product is. I have been offered about 10 different publishing deals. Decided against them all. reason being at this moment in time i wont get much use out of a deal of this type - i am not selling and not about to be on the radio... and whilst i know i am not in a strong position doesn't mean i wont be in the future and when/if the decent deal comes along i will be stuck to a small publisher.

But if this is the first offer they have given you they are offering a low deal. Why would they offer 70 % upfront when you might accept 50%.

If you are after a real deal 'deal' then a lot of labels have sister companies that hold the publishing rights. By having a deal that does nothing for you could end up bittin you in the ass when a label comes along and realises it will cost them 50k to just buy the publishing deal.

• Noob

50% is the legal max a publisher can take. HOWEVER at this stage it depends how good / helpful the publisher will be. You can always sign but limit their retention to a specific period e.g. one or two years which automatically extends if they get you somewhere. If they are good and know their stuff then on one song it could easily be a worthwhile investment. You're going to write more songs. If they want to publish more they have to show their mettle on one of them.

peter

Hi ,

Cheers G

• 4 weeks later...

Hi G,

In the UK the 70% - 30% split is the main standard, although this can vary in some cases. The signs you can look for are:

How long have they been in business

What artists have they got on their books

How many artist

How proactive are they

Are they reachable