Your Ad Could Be Here

Anyone Wanna Help Out An Audacity Noob?

Ah, Steve, hopefully you won't feel the need to bring it to Glasgow! :blink:

:backtotopic: The thing I'm having trouble with ATM is this: I have a large sound file of multiple songs that I'd like to break into separate files. To do this by ear would take forever, but I can see the breaks by looking at the sound wave. If I could separate the songs visually I'd be ecstatic but I can't figure out how to do that. Is it possible?

Also, later on I'd like to do some overdubbing with it. I haven't checked into that in any real depth yet, but I could use some tips if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks for the help and, as usual, the entertainment!

Import the audio by going to [Control - Import Audio] Now Save As something else so you keep the original track intact. Now you can go to the end of the first track, (which you say you can see because of the break) and from that break, select the track back to the beginning. Press Control X to cut that track out, then from the File menu, select New to open a new window, and press Control V to paste the track into that window. Save it! Then you can go back and do the same procedure for the remaining tracks. It makes it easy if you Cut (Control X)each track out rather than just copy it. That way, you are always selecting from the end of the track back to the start.

Also, later on I'd like to do some overdubbing with it. I haven't checked into that in any real depth yet, but I could use some tips if anyone is willing to share.

Thanks for the help and, as usual, the entertainment!

When you're ready, just ask again! :)