Your Ad Could Be Here

Circle Of Fifths

Somewhere over on a neighbouring thread, with a few of us stumbling around in the thicket of music theory, it was suggested (points finger at Rohan) that the topics being abused should have a separate thread. Steve Mueske finds the subject fascinating, and I find it generally a very useful thing to know about, so I thought I would kick a ball out there and see if anyone else has stuff to offer as well.

Steve feels strongly that if he were teaching someone today, he’d start out with the circle of fifths – a manner of picturing the relationships between keys.

I googled it – and found the Wikipedia entry pretty confused and confusing and best avoided.

Luckily, though, the concept is important enough to deserve its very own website devoted to helping you memorize the actual basic circle graphic which is HERE.

Much superior, in my opinion, is Rand Scullard’s on-line interactive model along with the accompanying User Guide which explains its application way better than I could ever manage.

It helps you understand key signatures, scales and modes; helps figure out the key of a piece of music; helps transpose it into another key; helps you write new stuff.

That’s a pretty good deal.

When I first started getting this area of understanding together for myself, I designed my own little wheel with a couple of bits of cardboard and a pin to spin them on – it was based on the circle of fifths but had the addition of special little cut-out windows so that when I "dialed" up a particular key I could also read off at a glance a range of basic chord substitutions.

Pretty funky and pretty handy.

It might take a while to find, but I could maybe dig it out from my past and share it with anyone who's interested.

For unknown reasons, I don't get to view all the links posted here - and this is one of them - but it doesn't matter, this link looks to be definitely decent judging by the appreciative reviews - and, what's more, there's quite a list of Related Videos that all look to be doing a better job then we can manage here with just words.

Lovely stuff and I didn't know it was out there.

Thanks Roflcopter.

Great link.

Awesome, next time I get around to playing a lot I'll be taking a look at those links Lazz! Cheers!

@Jules: I would say don't worry at all about the theory, try learning it, but it's not super necessary for a little while, as even if you don;t know what key you;'re playing your ears will usually tell if you go wrong. What I found fun is when the theory starts falling into place and then little patterns you may have noticed suddenly have a reason behind them... I usually find practical examples 100% necessary to make me understand stuff though, so you might be different! :)

Oh, and honestly Lazz! Such bad manners! Did your mother not tell you it's rude to point?!

By Proxy?

Nope.

By death.

Trusted & dependable.

Here's an interesting vid for Rohan about finding the key to a song.

Hey Steve - you forgot to add the link

Interestingly! The third note is the key of the song...

I do believe you when you say the method has worked repeaedly for you - no problem.

(Didn't Rudi have some supporting experience also ?)

But, being a devout black-swan man myself, I worry.