Your Ad Could Be Here

Suggestions and guidelines

Hi

We're always looking for ways to improve the Songstuff forums. In light of some recent feedback, and without being draconian some published guidelines and suggestions seem like a good idea.  

If your new here, start a topic, to introduce yourself, on the newbie board, rather than just adding to the existing rollcall topic.

Try and stay on-topic, both for adding topics to a board, and for replying to a post. The boards are not heavily moderated (except for board SPAMMING), but staying on topic does help make the boards more useful.

If you have a complaint about the boards, either post in feedbackstuff, or contact a moderator.

If you have a complaint about a member, contact a moderator.

Please treat others with respect. No racism, or offensive religious behaviour, please. Flaming is not acceptable. Songstuff is a pretty happy place, lets keep it that way.

No commercial spamming. If you want to plug a free product or service, and your post is on topic that's fine. There are two exceptions:

1. If you want to promote your latest CD, or song release, as an artist that's ok, but please also consider contacting Songstuff as we also try to support indie artists by adding a graphic to a rotation on many pages.

2. Songwriting competitions can post here, but be aware that many competitions are viewed as scams by many members. If your competition has little credibility, no announced judges, no sponsors or endorsements, unpublished or unfair conditions, no published directors, mailing address, dedicated domain and email contact and evidence of media interest, it is likely to be ill-received, and may be removed.

All purely commercial posts other than these will be removed.

If you are a commercial company or individual wanting to promote a commercial product or service, contact Songstuff to ask about advertising on the site.  

For review boards:

Members wanting feedback, please:

Post 1 topic per song, rather than a post covering all your songs. Post a link to a specific song, for lyrics please post the actual lyric, not a link.

Try and state the kind of feedback you want, including general feedback.

Review other's songs. Members are more likely to review your material, if you are seen to be active in reviewing yourself.

Be open to the opinions expressed.  If you don't like what you hear, by all means ask for clarification, agree or disagree, but please don't react aggressively.

Be aware feedback is subjective, and feedback may be very much  dependant on the taste and experience of the reviewer.

If you want a thumbs up / thumbs down only, use a poll offering a rating choice.  

If you don't want honest feedback, and you only want someone to play your tracks, or a pat on the back, post your request in ArtistStuff.

Reviewers, please:

Try to be as clear as you can about both likes and dislikes.

Where possible give suggestions to solve any perceived issues.

Be constructive in your critique. Try not to say  

"I hate it. It's crap"

or  

"I love it. It's good"

Describe what you like/dislike etc., what works what doesn't. Try and give the level of detail you would like to read in reviews of your own material.

Please don't be aggressive, or personal, in your comments. This is only likely to cause offence.

If the member who posted a song for review reacts defensively to your comments, please be understanding. Songs can be very personal things, and not everyone is really ready for the feedback they get, no matter how prepared they think they are.

Songstuff BB Admin

Hehh.... I just read those guidelines, and I have to say I have allready broken many of those, and so has probably everybody else....

Well.... there's allways "theory" and "practice"....

anyway .... THANKS for a killer site!

Hannu

True, HH but that may be because they were not explicit - I have broken some of them myself. It should be easier now they are clear.

Archived